hi

all of a sudden and without any tweaking or anything of the sort, i can't print anything on a previously perfectly good printer, and i get a message asking me if i want to install a printer.

the driver is installed, i've checked that, and i've tried adding the same printer again in control panel but i get this message;

'operation could not be completed. The print spooler service is not running'

Is this some sort of port problem?

as i say, before the printer was working just fine and to my knowledge i haven't altered any settings

i'm running windows xp, with a dell colour printer 720.

grateful for any help

hetixo

i have managed to get past the print spooler problem but now when i try to re-install the printer i get this message in hardware wizard;

'an error occurred during the installation of this device. the specified print monitor is unknown.'

i must admit i'm stumped. the device manager is saying that all the usb ports are working correctly, the driver is installed and whichever usb port i try i get the same message.

accourdnig to your printer problem, try to remove the driver and install again, and u can remove it complety from : start --> Settings --> printer and faxes --> File--> Server properties, and then choose the printer driver and remove it. now you can install your printer again and it will work.

i have desktop computer that i want to share it to a network printer but its responding that the printer driver cant be installed because the file is already exist.
if any one knows what can i do to be able to share this printer this would be appreciated.

thank you.

i've re-installed everything and i'm still getting the same error message.

hello hetixo
what about trying to repair your windows, i mean to re install the windows again, not formatting your pc.

hmmm. i don't think i'll try that! have had a technician look at this problem and he couldn't work it out. have installed another printer instead and that works fine. Hey Ho!

go to start ---> run ---> and type in "cmd" . hit enter.

after that type "sc config spooler depend= RPCSS" that exact way. make sure all of your spaces are right, etc.
that should fix the problem.

hi

all of a sudden and without any tweaking or anything of the sort, i can't print anything on a previously perfectly good printer, and i get a message asking me if i want to install a printer.

the driver is installed, i've checked that, and i've tried adding the same printer again in control panel but i get this message;

'operation could not be completed. The print spooler service is not running'

Is this some sort of port problem?

as i say, before the printer was working just fine and to my knowledge i haven't altered any settings

i'm running windows xp, with a dell colour printer 720.

grateful for any help

hetixo

after that type "sc config spooler depend= RPCSS" that exact way. make sure all of your spaces are right, etc.

hey,

thanks for the reply. I've since installed another printer. If i follow your instructions will i then interfere with my current printer settings?

It's kind of got to that point where i'd rather not meddle with it if it's going to complicate things now i have a working set up. However, i will no what to do if this happens again.

thanks again

hetixo

hey

thanks for the reply. If i follow those instructions will it interfere with my current printer settings? I've installed a different printer and I'm happy with the way everything is working at the moment.

However, i'll keep your instructions handy in case it happens again.

thanks

hetixo

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.