I was asked to come by a friends house to fix a monitor problem she had, but now I have one. She came to pick me up, and I put my monitor in her trunk for the ride, which was about 10 minutes. I forgot that she had a small kicker box in her trunk.When I got home and reconnected my monitor, the screen is now a greenish color. Is there any way to fix it, maybe demagnetize the screen? I have seen this happen to tv's, and it usually wears off after a period of time. Does this hold true for monitors, or am I stuck?

Recommended Answers

All 35 Replies

Monitors have a degaussing coil built in, which eventually should restore your colours back to normal. If not, MCM Electronics sells a degaussiing coil that TV techs use to restore the colours on a crt.

If this problem exists for a lomg time, then perhaps the metallic chassis inside the monitor has become magnetized, and this will require disassemblt in order to effect a cure.

Maybe you should check out some LCD screens?

I think you should check the connector or interface of the monitor

...the screen is now a greenish color. Is there any way to fix it, maybe demagnetize the screen?

I'm a monitor technician (among other things). Is green the only color you see, or does it just predominate? Is the green tint uniform, or splotchy? What happens when you rap or slap the side of the case? How about a brand / model ID? How old is it?

I have a Green Screen problem too. When i was watching TV i was bored and moving my mouse around clicking on the deskt top for no reason. Out of no where my Screen went Green for no reason. Now it wont go back to its original color at all. Everthing is green. My Monitor is old but not too old , and it is a SONY monitor can someone help me please?

I'm a monitor technician (among other things). Is green the only color you see, or does it just predominate? Is the green tint uniform, or splotchy? What happens when you rap or slap the side of the case? How about a brand / model ID? How old is it?

Considering your monitor technician title....he he ...... I just thought...may be you can give some advise for me......
Have the same problem. Bought AST vision 20H (3+ years old) from my friend....
I think that the prob was caused by transportation.
The monitor simply gets bright green glow after i start up the PC.
It gets back to normal after an hour or so....
The cable has separate inputs for colors and V H sync... (ive checked them one by one..........it has nothing with existing problem).
Thank you in advance! )))))))

What my little classmates like is turning the monitor Green, through the configuration screen of the monitor itself. "That's what those little buttons are for" they say.
If it's not the cables and degaussing perhaps this would be idea? And if you think the problem was during transport, how did you transport it then?

Bought AST vision 20H (3+ years old) from my friend.... I think that the prob was caused by transportation. The monitor simply gets bright green glow after i start up the PC. It gets back to normal after an hour or so....

That can be one of several problems, including a bad picture tube, but it's most likely a bad solder connection. Most of the AST monitors were made by Acer, which was known for that problem with that vintage of monitor. It will probably turns out that the board connector pins are poorly soldered to the printed circuit board. As the unit warms up, stuff expands and the connection "heals" temporarily. Unless you fix it yourself, it may not be economical to repair.

That can be one of several problems, including a bad picture tube, but it's most likely a bad solder connection. Most of the AST monitors were made by Acer, which was known for that problem with that vintage of monitor. It will probably turns out that the board connector pins are poorly soldered to the printed circuit board. As the unit warms up, stuff expands and the connection "heals" temporarily. Unless you fix it yourself, it may not be economical to repair.

Thanks a lot! I guess you are the first person on the web who gave me the proper answer. I'll better save some money for a better second hand model of AST:lol: crap.
But to be serious.....taking into account your experience....what monitor would you recommend for heavy graphic applications (CRT prof range)?

But to be serious.....taking into account your experience....what monitor would you recommend for heavy graphic applications (CRT prof range)?

I always start with the CRT (picture tube) and work back. In my opinion, the best CRT on earth bar none is the Mitsubishi Diamondtron. This is because Mitsubishi licensed the Trinitron tube from Sony then improved it with a better electron gun design.

The basic Trinitron design is the best for a number of reasons -- its main drawback, the faint horizontal lines (shadows) caused by the tension wires across the aperture grill, are outweighed by the advantages. The advantages of an aperture grille over a shadow mask include much higher efficiency (a shadow mask only allows about 15% of the beam current to reach the screen, the aperture grill passes much more) and higher vertical resolution.

A number of manufacturers agree with me. You can get Diamondtron tubes from such manufacturers as Samsung, Iiyama, Viewsonic/Optiquest, and, of course, Mitsubishi themselves. All are on my recommended list, and all have consumer, professional, and "prosumer" lines. Of course there are others that may be just as good--but to my mind, these are the leaders. Of course, all those years of rosin fumes from slaving over a hot soldering iron may well have rotted my brain, so your mileage may vary...

As far as the comparison between CRT and LCD monitors, you can view my opinion here in an article that I am both working to expand and add a "part 2" to soon.

I always start with the CRT (picture tube) and work back. In my opinion, the best CRT on earth bar none is the Mitsubishi Diamondtron. This is because Mitsubishi licensed the Trinitron tube from Sony then improved it with a better electron gun design.

The basic Trinitron design is the best for a number of reasons -- its main drawback, the faint horizontal lines (shadows) caused by the tension wires across the aperture grill, are outweighed by the advantages. The advantages of an aperture grille over a shadow mask include much higher efficiency (a shadow mask only allows about 15% of the beam current to reach the screen, the aperture grill passes much more) and higher vertical resolution.

A number of manufacturers agree with me. You can get Diamondtron tubes from such manufacturers as Samsung, Iiyama, Viewsonic/Optiquest, and, of course, Mitsubishi themselves. All are on my recommended list, and all have consumer, professional, and "prosumer" lines. Of course there are others that may be just as good--but to my mind, these are the leaders. Of course, all those years of rosin fumes from slaving over a hot soldering iron may well have rotted my brain, so your mileage may vary...

As far as the comparison between CRT and LCD monitors, you can view my opinion here in an article that I am both working to expand and add a "part 2" to soon.

TallCool! My respect! Thank you verrrryy much! You are my saviour....lol:lol:
I used to love viewsonics, as in exsoviets (where im from) they were leaders in sales and my first years with PCs were spent with those birds in the corner.
Good LCD is over 500.....pritty tough, so I'll go for Dimondtron tube (new one:!:)
thank you so much for your help! God bless you :D

I know this is an old topic, but please bear with me.

I have the same problem. My HP P1110 21" has a green tint to it after being transported in two of my friends' cars, and being near another friend's subwoofer for probably just a bit too long.

There's a few diagonal green-ish lines across the bottom going from the bottom left to the middle right or so. I could take a picture.

Right now I'm undergoing the degauss gauntlet: turn it on for a minute, turn it off for ~15, repeat. Any other suggestions? I have some access to the metal chassis if anything (there's a square hole in the plastic on the top of the monitor).

I found some information about the possible problem on another thread, stating:

"Dirt in the Green Drive pot usually makes the black parts of the image turn green."

How likely is this? The thing is *uniformly* green-tinted, but it's most noticeable on the black. Turning down the green on the RGB settings to 0 still leaves a green tint. What exactly is the Green Drive pot and how would I go about cleaning it / making sure it's in proper order? Thanks!

Very sorry for the double post.

I experience the same thing. After I have transported my monitor it has a greenih tint all over the screen. I have an HP P1110 too. Maybe someone can help.

I experience the same thing. After I have transported my monitor it has a greenih tint all over the screen. I have an HP P1110 too. Maybe someone can help.

I figured out after a lot of research that you can turn down the GREEN AMP by accessing the system menu. I just wouldn't go in and try flushing the EEPROM because now my monitor's been doing a lot of random stuff: the image 'flashes' every so often as though the resolution had been changed or the monitor had been turned back on (not like degaussing), but sometimes it'll randomly degauss as the image will occassionally 'shrink' horizontally in the center.

I think that, apparently, all HP P1110 monitors seem to be absolutely terrible, by the way.

Hi, i have the same problem.. my display is too green. I have a iiyama ProLite E485S monitor, with an ATI Radeon X800Pro gfx card. Whenever i click the "Auto Setup" button on my monitor, it changes to what it should be, but then it changes back to the green colour.

My System:

Processor: Intel Pentium 4 3.2Ghz (with HT)
Memory: 1Gb DDR PC3200
Motherboard: Abit IS-7
Hard Disk: 250Gb SATA
Graphics Card: ATI Radeon X800 Pro (VGA to Monitor, S-VIDEO to TV card)
Monitor: iiyama ProLite E485S (VGA input)
TV Card: Pinnacle 100i Media Center

Hi, i have the same problem.. my display is too green. I have a iiyama ProLite E485S monitor, with an ATI Radeon X800Pro gfx card. Whenever i click the "Auto Setup" button on my monitor, it changes to what it should be, but then it changes back to the green colour.

My System:

Processor: Intel Pentium 4 3.2Ghz (with HT)
Memory: 1Gb DDR PC3200
Motherboard: Abit IS-7
Hard Disk: 250Gb SATA
Graphics Card: ATI Radeon X800 Pro (VGA to Monitor, S-VIDEO to TV card)
Monitor: iiyama ProLite E485S (VGA input)
TV Card: Pinnacle 100i Media Center

this is almost the same as my problem except i have an Iiyama prolite e435s with an nvidia 6600 card - I solved the problem by changing my analogue monitor cable for a dvi cable so do this if possible or maybe a better analogue cable is your answer

I have that problem, will it go away in a matter of time? What are DVI cables?

The cable may be broken. I have acertain monitor where you wiggle the cable and it goes pink

Hi, I'm aware that this thread is quite old, but I'm having a similar problem with my laptop. I have a Dell Latitude D410 that is only about two months old, and my screen occasionally turns green, not just a tint, but fully green. I had never heard of this happening before, and would like advice as to what to do.

You are all wrong the answers are just keyword stuffing

commented: And 3 years ago, the rest of might have cared about it as well -7

Hi ,

this is lalit . Please help me , as u mentioned the green color is predominate. when I rap or slap the side of the case the display is normal

please help me asap

Thanking You
Lalit

i have the same problem. I connected my PC to my HD 1080i Plasma and it went green. the TV works okay. I put it back to my regular Samsung SyncMaster 2443 and it;s still green. I suspect my Nvidia card.

I just resolved the same problem...the VGA connector was loose...thanks laoli!!!

my monitor turns green whenever i starts any of the high defination app...for fixing this problem recently i have purchased a new monitor......but the problem is still......what should i do to fix it...plz help me.....i suspect my nvidia card......

system
ram:2048 mb
processor: dual core cpu E5500 @2.80 ghz
gfx:nvidia 8400gs

Create a new thread and we will respond to it immediately.

have acer laptop monitor normal vga green stared when i had ta buy new led tv.vga was normal on old tv before it bit the dust.laptop about 8 years old,.

my aoc monitor model # E22252Swdn, I just got it today set it up. I have a pink display

i have the same issue with my LED monitor.. but only the right side is green... i don't know what's wrong with it

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.