This is my motherboard. This is my CPU.

I'm looking at these two RAM kits at the moment:

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666)

G.SKILL Value Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600)

The Ripjaws does not have a matching PC3 number. According to this, my motherboard can do 10600 but there is no mention of 10666, which seems like an odd number to me.

The G.SKILL value series kit lists some motherboard chipsets it works with, but does not list my AMD 870 chipset. It looks compatible otherwise though, as far as I can tell. It lists these AMD chipsets as compatible: AMD 890 Series, AMD 790 Series.

I found these by going through this list and choosing the top-rated memory kits that seemed compatible with my system.

Is either of them compatible? What 8gb kit would you recommend instead? I want stable, compatible memory and will NOT overclock it.

Recommended Answers

All 14 Replies

This is the memory compatibility list.
Have a look through to see if the memory you have selected is on the list :).

That list says this at the top "Memory modules listed below are for reference only. Due to massive memory models on the market, we can only verify some of them." Also, it's outdated. Thanks for the attempt though.

Unfortunately only the 10600 is technically compatible, the difference is simply the quality of the memory. 10666 is higher quality than 10600. 10666 is a true 677 mhz where 10600 is not.

From your other post, it did look like the sticks were bad and you just got unlucky. What type of ram was it, out of curiosity?

Unfortunately only the 10600 is technically compatible, the difference is simply the quality of the memory. 10666 is higher quality than 10600. 10666 is a true 677 mhz where 10600 is not.

So you're saying this RAM is compatible? Does it seem like a good set for this board?

From your other post, it did look like the sticks were bad and you just got unlucky. What type of ram was it, out of curiosity?

This is the ram that went bad.

Ah crap, now I see whats up. That first ram is not bad, its not compatible with amd, (might be bad now though)

The ram I said was compatible actually is not, but other 10600 will be.

The key thing is that the ram must be compatible with the amd chipset 870

ram like thishttp://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148420 would be compatible

or like thishttp://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145315&Tpk=CMX8GX3M2A1333C9

thats actually about it on newegg.

How can you tell? I can't tell how you found out those two were compatible with the 870 chipset.

you actually have to check the manufacturer website. Crucial and Corsair are two of the best for searching for compatible ram, crucial lets you pick your motherboard out of a list and corsair uses a drill down.

When you are checking, use model numbers, dont go by image, they can be different.

If you go to g.skills website, you will see that the 870 chipset is not listed on the ram you picked.

yuck! okay i'll do some of that. the cheaper one you found has no reviews and the other one is on the expensive side, so i'll search some more.

It doesn't matter that the RAM frequencies match the cpu's/motherboard. Some RAM brands do not play nice with certain brand mobo's/cpu's.

try to buy ram corsair.......

saxmaster: i just noticed the corsair ram you mentioned doesn't come up when i use corsair's configurator. how did you decide it was compatible?

On its tech specs it says it is designed for all ddr3 dual channel boards. Ie not specific to intel and compatible with all chipsets.

Ah, thanks again.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.