OK, I've just finished setting up my dual boot system - WinXP Home Edition and Ubuntu Linux 5.10. I've installed all the upgraded drivers and BIOS needed for my system. (A Dell Dimension 8400)

So I've just logged on to Windows and hear that familiar start-up sound, and think "Well, my sound card's working...". I guess it was a little early to think that. Just to test everything out, I start up WinAmp. I see the music playing, but no sound is coming out of the speakers. So I check if anything is muted. It's not. The cables are all connected, and speakers work fine on my laptop. My Sound Blaster LIVE! 24-bit sound card is shown as working properly in device manager.
What to do? The trouble-shooters I've found so far have failed to solve my problem. :-|

If anyone has any idea what is happening, all suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Thank you in advance :-)

Recommended Answers

All 16 Replies

double click on your Creative Volume Control and click on the Speaker Settings button. Uncheck the digital output only mark and then try playing,, it should work then

Ok, It's working fine now...I knew it was going to be something obvious that I missed ;)
Thanks again! :mrgreen:

double click on your Creative Volume Control and click on the Speaker Settings button. Uncheck the digital output only mark and then try playing,, it should work then

(I'm bumping this thread because I'm having the same problem)

this resolution did not work for me :(

Same thing - I reinstalled xp, heard the chime on 1 reboot - then all sound was lost.

any ideas?

Did you install the creative software? Did you make sure the creative volume was turned up?

Ok. Brand new to the site and already have a problem. Hi, coffeelovermama here. I had my pc reformated at a computer repair store and ever since no sound. I've also checked the volume controls, speakers, plug ins, and device check. Everything seems to be working. I called the store and they said reformating would not make this happen. I needed a new motherboard. Does anyone know anything about this. I know how to do the basics and thats it. But, I do like having sound. I enjoy music, too.

Here's a question .. I have the sound blaster live in a dell ... when I go to the sound area ... it has the sound grayed out ... so I would go the device manager and uninstall the drivers and uninstall the software ... restart and install the newest drivers from dell (2003) and it will work fine untill I restart the computer and they go gray again ... please help ... thanks :)

Ok. Brand new to the site and already have a problem. Hi, coffeelovermama here. I had my pc reformated at a computer repair store and ever since no sound. I've also checked the volume controls, speakers, plug ins, and device check. Everything seems to be working. I called the store and they said reformating would not make this happen. I needed a new motherboard. Does anyone know anything about this. I know how to do the basics and thats it. But, I do like having sound. I enjoy music, too.

Here's a question .. I have the sound blaster live in a dell ... when I go to the sound area ... it has the sound grayed out ... so I would go the device manager and uninstall the drivers and uninstall the software ... restart and install the newest drivers from dell (2003) and it will work fine untill I restart the computer and they go gray again ... please help ... thanks :)

I have the same problem that the first guy had, I have a SB live! 24 bit sound card that isnt working. I turn music on but no sound comes out at all, its not the speakers they are working and I have unchecked digital output only and yet it still does not work. It was working fine the other day but now its not. I have been into device manager and it said that the card is working fine and that there is no conflictions with anything else and nothing has been changed on the computer at all???

Anyone else know any tricks?? I even have the latest firmware on it

(I'm bumping this thread because I'm having the same problem)

this resolution did not work for me :(

Same thing - I reinstalled xp, heard the chime on 1 reboot - then all sound was lost.

any ideas?

I was having the same problem and tried all of these suggestions as well with no success. I kept searching Dell Support and found a tip that suggested going to "Start"--->"Creative"--->"Sound Blaster Live 24 bit"--->"Creative Restore Defaults"

This worked for me, good luck.

The sound you did hear came from the internal modem, not your speakers.
You need to go to device manager and check way down for the yellow exclamation mark and delete that entry. Allow the MICROSOFT KERNEL AUDIO SPLITTER to load, against all dire warnings, then PRESTO! Your sound will be back.

You don't need a new motherboard. You need MICROSOFT KERNEL AUDIO SPLITTER. Just go to Device Manager and look way down under drivers, but way lower and see the Yellow Exclamation mark and delete that line. Allow the Microsoft Kernel Audio Splitter to load against all dire warnings, and it will work fine. Sounds like the same thing that happened to my Dell 4100 with 24 bit soundblaster live when I upgraded from ME to XP SP2

Had the same problem on Dell 4100 with 24 bit SoundBlaster Live
go to Device Manager and check for Yellow Exclamation mark, delete that line and allow the MICROSOFT KERNEL AUDIO SPLITTER to load, against all warnings, go ahead. PRESTO! You will have sound. The sound you heard was from your internal modem speaker, not your speakers. It is not your sound muting, nor your motherboard, nor your bios etc etc. You just need to split the kernel.

OK, I've just finished setting up my dual boot system - WinXP Home Edition and Ubuntu Linux 5.10. I've installed all the upgraded drivers and BIOS needed for my system. (A Dell Dimension 8400)

So I've just logged on to Windows and hear that familiar start-up sound, and think "Well, my sound card's working...". I guess it was a little early to think that. Just to test everything out, I start up WinAmp. I see the music playing, but no sound is coming out of the speakers. So I check if anything is muted. It's not. The cables are all connected, and speakers work fine on my laptop. My Sound Blaster LIVE! 24-bit sound card is shown as working properly in device manager.
What to do? The trouble-shooters I've found so far have failed to solve my problem. :-|

If anyone has any idea what is happening, all suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Thank you in advance :-)

This may be of use-
Control Panel
Sound and Audio Devices
Audio
Check default device is correct.

Member Avatar for DyO1

have the same problem...no errors,it says working good but i don't hear the sound,my speakers are working,tested them please help me !

Member Avatar for DyO1

OK IVE FIXED IT PLEASE READ:
1. go to start/control panel/sound
2.without clicking any tabs,go to advancced (its somewhere at the sound volume control)
3. go on file and click advanced controls
4.click advanced on playback and UNCHECK the checkbox "1 Digital Output Only"
you are ALL done ;-)

I'm having the same issue with my new motherboard. My suggestion to anyone having problems with their PCI cards is to do 3 things. 1) try the card in another slot 2) try a different card in the same slot 3) try the card in another PC. These steps will help determine exactly what is problematic. I built a new system a few days ago and my SB Audigy card won't work. It installs fine, device manager says it's working, but it's not. Regardless of what I plug into the card or weather I use analog or digital. I switched a few cards around and discovered every card I tried in this PCI slot didn't work, and I know for a fact the card is good....so the problem is the PCI slot.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.