Motherboard: ASUS P5LD2 Deluxe
CPU installed: Pentium D 3.0 GHz (dual core)
Memory Installed: 3gb DDR2 (2x 1gb + 2x 512mb) both are 1066mhz
Video card: 512mb Nvidia 210 PCI (not PCI-E) card. I needed an s-video out because this will eventually be a media center connected to a TV that only has S-video input, so that's why i'm not using PCI-E.

Symptoms:
-When you turn on the system, and just leave it, you'll get a quick single POST beep, and everything seems fine, but it will hang on the main splash screen.
-If you press delete right away to get into BIOS, the AMI screen pops up, and shows system info like CPU, installed memory, keyboard, mouse, hard drives, optical drives, etc. but then it just hangs on that screen and never boots into BIOS.
-There is an option to "Press F8 for BBS POPUP", but when you press F8, that changes to "Boot selection popup menu has been selected", and still hangs.

Attempted solutions:
-Clearing the CMOS by removing battery and leaving for over 30 minutes (FAILED)
-Replacing the CPU with confirmed working 775 socket P4 (FAILED)
-Replaced individual, and multiple RAM modules of all capacities and brands (FAILED)
-Replaced CMOS battery completely with confirmed working one (FAILED)
-Manually cleared CMOS with jumper pins (FAILED)
-Power supply is brand new, but I tested it anyways, and it's working perfectly

The video card is obviously working or else I wouldn't be able to see that the system is hanging. Any thoughts?? PLEASE??

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Have you tried booting with another DISC ? Try another disc if havn't tried yet.

i've tried booting with DVD, USB, and nothing at all. The hard drive is completely blank right now. Not formatted or partitioned at all. I can't even get into the BIOS. If I turn it on and leave it, it just freezes at the first splash screen... if i press delete as soon as the comp turns on very quickly, it goes to the AMI BIOS loading page where it continues and completes the POST, but then it hangs there instead.
I get one single quick POST beep right before the screen turns on.
I checked the AMI post beep code description, and it says there was something wrong with the memory. But i've swapped out the memory in every combination I can think of.
I have 4 sticks (2x 1gb, and 2x 512mb). I've tried just the two 512s, the 2 1gbs, i have two 2gbs that i've tried (that i know work), i've tried 1 stick at a time in each bay. with different memory. nothing at all works. unless each and every memory bank on this board are fried, which i find that very hard to believe... maybe the MCH is somehow gone??

The video card is obviously working or else I wouldn't be able to see that the system is hanging. Any thoughts?? PLEASE??

yes,but it could be overheating badly and causing the freezing

I doubt that it's caused by overheating since it hangs at identical points every single time no matter the configuration. It hangs at the exact same point wether I've tried it 10 times in a row, or if it's sat on a shelf 'cooling' for a week. I'm really thinking it's a hardware issue.
Any thoughts on the PCI graphics card? The board supports PCI-E, but the card I'm using is just PCI. I wouldn't think that would be the problem though since there's video obviously coming out of the card to show me the system is hanging... Maybe I'll try a PCI-E card and see if it does the same thing...

I doubt that it's caused by overheating since it hangs at identical points every single time no matter the configuration

it is possible for a computer chip to overheat almost instently ,no all are a slow buildup to a specific temp. just a thought ,if its a old pci card it might be faulty ,good luck with trying a pci-e card ,
did you try the video card in all 3 pci slots ,usually one of the slots are higher speed than other 2 [on boards I have owned ,should show in the manual]
when I google Nvidia 210 PCI all I find are pci- express cards

sorry i took so long to get back to you. i'm sorry i said nvidia 210. that is in another system i just build. the one in this system is an EVGA nVidia GeForce 6200LE 256MB. Anyways, I haven't tried the other PCI slots... that's a good idea... And I'm currently out of PCI-E spares. I'll have to pick one up and see if that's the problem.
This board did run fine before, and all the other components were in other working systems too... there's got to be just something stupid going on with compatibility or something like that.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.