Hi, I currently own a custom Lenovo Ideapad Y480 that I purchased about a month ago. Just recently my laptop shut off (like the power was cut) and then restarted. Shortly after restart, it happened again. And again. So I shut it off and waited a while. I started it back up, and everything seemed fine, until about 20 minutes in, it shut off again. More recently, the computer started shutting off and restarting immediately after the initial startup screen, and then froze, with frozen static (horrizontal lines, to be specific). I attempted a "repair windows", but it froze while loading files. I found advice about unplugging the battery, and it looked liked it worked until a few hours in, when it shut off again. I have run scans and restored to previous dates, but nothing fixed it. The computer seems perfectly fine except for what is happening; it runs smoothly and there are no corruptions. It seems to happen regardless of the laptop being plugged in. I also performed diagnostics on the memory and nothing came up, and the same for Event Viewer, except for a Kernel Power error about the system shutting off inproperly.

My system specs are: Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium edition, 750gb Hard Drive, 16gb RAM, Intel HD Graphics 4000, Intel Core i7-3610QM CPU @ 2.3ghz.

I have searched all over for a similar problem in hope of at least a diagnosis, but I have come up short. If someone else has had this problem and posted it on here, I apologize, but I couldn't find it. If anyone may have an idea as to what is going on, I would appreciate some help! Thank you!

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

I guess, the laptops is shutting off due to over heating. You put it over a flat surface while using. Laptops has a heat outlet in the lower section/at bottom face. that is why it gets shut off while over heating to prevent the burn.

That's the wierd thing, I have the laptop on a hard surface and it doesn't seem hot at all. I've run it on high performance and it BURNS, but still runs fine. It's been shutting down nowhere near that temperature. Thanks for the reply, though.

I experienced the same thing almost immediately out of the box! Very disappointing but the solution for us was to get in contact directly with Lenovo Tech support who proceeded to log on remotely to the machine and first 'repartition' the hard drive.... (very disappointing since I lost the software that I had installed) and then they disabled the "Lenovo EE Boot Optimizer" (a piece of - very crappy - software that was supposed to enable the machine to boot faster..... it probably did but it did it and did it and...etc!). Long story short - the machine is fine (well except some java issues) now... Next time will get another "Thinkpad" instead...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.