Hi Experts

I have been experience this problem recently.

I have got a USB printer when I connect it through a new 5 m USB (non brand name, and not faulty) cable it didn't work but when I connect the same printer via 1.5 m it works.

I tried the same printer on desktop and laptop

Is the USB cable quality an issue ? mean If I got a quality brand that problem shouldn't happen ?

I had been experiencing similar issue with other USB devices when I used USB extension cables , laptop or desktop couldn't recognize USB devices (USB stick, printer, etc)

Regards

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

It would be good to know the make and model of the printer, symptoms are self-explanatory. USB 1.1 devices can only handle USB cables of up to 3.5 metres, (but you can only buy them in 3m lengths) and USB 2 devices of up to 5 metres in length. It's nothing to do with the quality of the cable, it's all by design.

But, please tell us what model printer you have, and how old (roughly) your computer is. There may be another problem lurking in the background, but I don't think it will be anything more than a problem by design.

The length of the cable can be an issue, as well as the quality of it. Depends also on the hardware you have.

Are you plugging into a USB port into the back of a computer or a external hub. Maybe the hub is faulty.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.