I recently found a solution, or answer to a problem...
My GF Inspiron 6000, had an HD crash(bad blocks) I ghosted the system up to an external HD then down to the new HD. After doing so the comp started past POST to a screen that read www.dell.com at the top and PBR.....2 done. but then nothin, the windows logo should start from there. Apparently (I work for dell and didn't know this) they partition all HD before they give them out to have some of they're basic diagnostic software on them. The long and short of it....

When PBR.....2 hangs, the comp can't find the MBR(master boot record)the PBR=Partition Boot Record. Its something that is loaded before windows but after BIOS. IF you get it from dell, wipe the HD before you do anything it will save you alot of anger and booze. I did alot of research to find out what PBR is.

Sorry to be so long just want to help whoever I can with this discovery.

Any ???????? are welcome.
:cool:

Recommended Answers

All 15 Replies

I've never had issues with this from dell. All of the drives we get are unformatted oem's in static bags. Do they only do this for home users?

Possibly??????, my situation was with a home pc. I don't work there anymore but when I did it was only with home users. It has been my experience that corp customers are not only treated better than the home customers. But as an IT guy in a corp enviroment you might have a better handle on dealing with an oem HD. Home users aren't as savy.

But I could be wrong.

Just a little added bonus to whom ever reads this. Dell gave me 10 days to return the bad HD or they would charge $270 for it. (real value is less than half that). and it gets better folks this was a warranty part i returneda an 80GB, but got a 60GB.

I hate them so much.

I recently found a solution, or answer to a problem...
My GF Inspiron 6000, had an HD crash(bad blocks) I ghosted the system up to an external HD then down to the new HD. After doing so the comp started past POST to a screen that read www.dell.com at the top and PBR.....2 done. but then nothin, the windows logo should start from there. Apparently (I work for dell and didn't know this) they partition all HD before they give them out to have some of they're basic diagnostic software on them. The long and short of it....

When PBR.....2 hangs, the comp can't find the MBR(master boot record)the PBR=Partition Boot Record. Its something that is loaded before windows but after BIOS. IF you get it from dell, wipe the HD before you do anything it will save you alot of anger and booze. I did alot of research to find out what PBR is.

Sorry to be so long just want to help whoever I can with this discovery.

Any ???????? are welcome.
:cool:

So how do you recover from the Bad PBR error. How do you get the system to recognize the maseter boot record?

Regards,
dougl_nj99

So how do you recover from the Bad PBR error. How do you get the system to recognize the maseter boot record?

Regards,
dougl_nj99

I don't think there is anyway to recover the HDD, if you want to reinstall the software, when computer starts press CTRL_F11 then it will take you to the RESTORE screen and from there you can install the new operating system; your system will be like as it came from DELL.

Regards,
dougl_nj99

so i really not sure if this is you problem as i did not read all the old post above,but if the drive won't boot because of bad master boot record ,you boot to the winxp cd and go to R for repair ,at the prompt ,type fixmbr, or even type help, first to get list of commands you can use to repair a hdd.
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/bootcons_fixmbr.mspx?mfr=true

By fixing the Master Boot Record you will be changing the boot record and it may damage the partitions from Dell, so if you want to recover your OS only (Not Data) when computer starts press ctrl+F11 and there will be a screen for Recovery and then follow the onscreen instructions.

Thanks.
Tariq

its very possible the image you ghosted is bad. you may very well need to install an OEM or retail copy of xp, make sure to delete the partitions you created with ghost. just use the product key on the machine. network drivers *usually* install, so its a piece of cake after that, if not, just goto the dell site and get all the drivers you need. OEM is soooooo much better then that crappy version of xp dell gives you.

my laptop says pbr 2...done with www.dell.com at the top and wont leave the screen however i can press f12 for boot menu andf2 for a diff menu what can i do to make it load

my dell laptop gives me "PBR...2 done" error when i restart ..it all started after installing an anti virus. help me out i dont want to loose any data because i dont have any backup any where.

I just came upon the very same problem, shanty83. I am desperate to retrieve the data in my computer. I'm not every worried about the future functionality of my laptop, I just need the data stored in it! I see your post was about a year ago. Is there any hope??!

I just came upon the very same problem, shanty83. I am desperate to retrieve the data in my computer. I'm not every worried about the future functionality of my laptop, I just need the data stored in it! I see your post was about a year ago. Is there any hope??!

remove the hardrive from laptop ,take it to a computer repair shop and see if they can retrieve you data

*Your hard drive is not broken.*
*Your data is all recoverable.*

Ignore all other solutions and do the following:
1. Boot from windows CD or Dell recovery CD
2. Hit R to run the Recovery Console
3. At the command prompt type FIXBOOT
4. It will ask if you really want to do it on the c: drive. Hit yes.

Enjoy the fast and easy fix, and back up all your data for next time.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.