It's a 350 watt PS. When I plug it in, and it's not connected to anything it doesn't seem to fire up. Shouldn't the fan turn on even though it is not connected to any computer peripherals? I hooked it up first to a computer and it didn't fire up the computer, but then there is a possibility the MB is fried. However, I'm not sure about this. The computer went out in a storm, there was odor, but the MB doesn't have any burn spots anywhere. Thoughts on this would be appreciated.
Thanks, BuddyB

Contributors
Replies
Views
11 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by josppp

No, a power supply will not turn on unless it is conected to a functioning motherboard. It is very possible that your motherboard could be damaged. They rarely show visual signs.

That is exactly what I was afraid of. Thanks for your input.
BuddyB

You may try to ground the green wire with the black wire of your PSU, if the fan of the PSU turns on then the PSU is ok.

With lightening strikes most system motherboards and ram fries! This is one for the insurance company I am afraid.

It's a 350 watt PS. When I plug it in, and it's not connected to anything it doesn't seem to fire up. Shouldn't the fan turn on even though it is not connected to any computer peripherals? I hooked it up first to a computer and it didn't fire up the computer, but then there is a possibility the MB is fried. However, I'm not sure about this. The computer went out in a storm, there was odor, but the MB doesn't have any burn spots anywhere. Thoughts on this would be appreciated.
Thanks, BuddyB

U must connect the mobo with the PS, otherwise the MObo will not start working. So at least connect the big 22/24 something to Ur mobo.
here is a link, that may be help U. The Mobo must reckonice, that there is a power supply to switch on.
http://www.overclock.net/faqs/15751-info-can-i-use-two-power.html

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.