My Mom's Compaq Presario V6000 is showing no picture on the screen and continuously power cycles about every 30 seconds unless you hold the power button down to turn it off. All of the lights are working and you can hear the disk drive working when it first comes on.

I have taken it in to a local shop and the tech thought it might be the mother board. I was just hoping to see if anyone else had any other thoughts.

Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

Their diagnosis is sound, usually when machines do this it is the motherboard, however there are rare cases that a power supply could do this too. Do you hear the power on self test beeps during the 30 seconds it's on?

It is most likely the mother board in some way but it may not be broken. You should try to reset the bios settings before buying a new mother board. To do this either remove the cmos battery and turn the computer on and off and replace the battery or use the jumpers to flush the bios. (you will probably need your mother board book to do this)

good luck

Hi! I am very sorry to drudge up such an old thread but this is exactly the thing that is happening to my fiancee's Compaq v6000 (and seems to be a common issue for many). Now the computer is terrible and I don't really think its even worth fixing given how many people seem to have technical issues but the files on the computer are of extreme sentimental value and I am simply wondering if the data would be safe.

Also, in the case that it is not damaged how difficult would it be to go about getting the information off for a person who used to be decently versed in PC hardware. Would I be able to hook it up to a desktop? If anyone can offer any suggestions I would be so grateful (and so would she!) Thanks!

Hi,
I haven't bothered to read this old thread, you would have been better to open your own new thread and reference to this one.
If the laptop will not start you can not access it from another machine. You can remove the hard drive and connect it to another PC and take off the information you want.

Go to the HP site, look up your model details, download the service manual and see if you can do a restore.....

Hi! I am very sorry to drudge up such an old thread but !

you would be best off starting your own thread like bob said ,but you drudged up an old one ,so i ask as you didn't say ,did any of the suggestion to others in this old thread work for you ,did you even try any of them ,like my suggestion in post #4 ,try that first and get back to us !

unfortunately Caperjack.... I don't get a post screen to even get bak to the bios and change the boot order.... Also is there a different type of motherboard that can b put into the compaq presario v6000 besides the 1 that it came with....
Thanks

unfortunately Caperjack.... I don't get a post screen to even get bak to the bios and change the boot order.... Also is there a different type of motherboard that can b put into the compaq presario v6000 besides the 1 that it came with....
Thanks

usually a hard thing to do because of front case power button where they plug into the motherboard ,and the pack panel where the mouse and stuff plug in .but if your handy it can be done

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.