I am currently planning on buying componants and building my own computer. I got given an anti static wrist strap for christmas but I was also thinking about buying an anti static mat (the mod right mod mat, http://www.frozencpu.com/products/11675/pad-200/ModRight_Super_Large_Anti-Static_Mod-Mat_Work_and_Assembly_Surface_-_Version_2_Over_47_x_23_in_Size.html?id=tMs2PmkA)
The mat seems like a handy piece of equipment but I am unsure if I would really gain anything from purchasing it. Is a mod mat neccasary, would it largely help prevent damage to parts or is a wrist strap by itself adequate?

Back in the day when I was studying computer hardware and repair, the anti-static wrist stap was a must. However, I can tell you that after more than a decade of working with PCs and Server hardware, I've never used an anti-static wrist strap and have never had an issue. however, the risk is obviously there. If the environment you work/live in is prone to static, then you should invest in it.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.