Hi,

I have a hp laptop (about 14 months old) with CD/DVD drive. It doesn't read CDs. I can see the drive on my computer, but when I open it, it shows a blank CD. Rarely it opens and writes CDs . But most of the time when I try to copy files to a blank CD, normally it asks me to insert a blank CD, even when there's a blank CD in the drive.

I had Norton Antivirus, but it made the computer really slow. yesterday I uninstalled it, thinking it might help, but now I can't re-install since the drive doesn't read CDs.

I'm told to uninstalled everything in the computer and and re-install, but I hesitate since it doesn't read CDs. There are no malicious software, virus etc as far as I know, since I use anti-virus sofware and microsoft malicious software finding tool.

PLEASE HELP !!!

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Hi,

I'm told to uninstalled everything in the computer and and re-install, but I hesitate since it doesn't read CDs. There are no malicious software, virus etc as far as I know, since I use anti-virus sofware and microsoft malicious software finding tool.

PLEASE HELP !!!

thats why you don't uninstall everything, just format the whole thing, then reinstall windows etc. should be fine after format :)

Thanks, I'll try it.

I had a similar problem with my CD/DVD drive in my Compaq Presario. It showed up in explorer, and device manager said it was working fine, but it just ignored anything I put into it. When I called Tech Support, they talked me through a few things which managed to make it recognise audio CDs, but not data CDs.

(Surprisingly, one of the first things they asked me was whether or not I had iTunes installed, which I had in fact uninstalled immediately before it broke, as apparently there is a known problem with iTunes messing with CD drives)

Luckily for me mine was still under warranty and so they told me the easiest way to sort it out was to send me a new one, but I don't know if there is another (harder) way that would save you having to buy a new drive.

Don't know if this is helpful at all.

Thanks. I am sending my computer to be repaired.

I kinda suspect the drive here.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.