I put in a new motherboard and hard drive in my computer. I had some data on my old hard drive that I wanted to try and copy to my new hard drive before formatting it. So I conected my old hard drive with a USB to IDE cable to the computer. The problem is that Device Manager sees the old hard drive, but My Computer and Disk Management do not show it at all. Also, when I tried to 'populate' the Volumes in Properties in Device Manager, I got 'Unknown' type, and 'Unreadable' status.

Any suggestions on what I can try?

BTW, this is a great forum! I've learnt lots just reading all the posts!

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

So I conected my old hard drive with a USB to IDE cable to the computer.

what do you mean with this?

Go to disk management (start>run, type 'diskmgmt.msc' and press enter)Right click on your HD without the drive letter and select "Add drive letters and paths". Next, click "Add" and select the first availablr drive letter. Do this for all your HDs.

Go to disk management (start>run, type 'diskmgmt.msc' and press enter)Right click on your HD without the drive letter and select "Add drive letters and paths". Next, click "Add" and select the first availablr drive letter. Do this for all your HDs.

Thanks, but the drive is not even seen in Disk Management, so there is no way to right-click it...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.