First off, thank you for reading this and helping me.

OK, so i feel like a sucker because I saved a lot of money by buying a refurb Toshiba R100 and was so proud of myself, but my older bro was like you're gonna have problems with it. I didn't believe him and I was reassured by the 30 day warranty the online store provided.

I have had the laptop for about 45 days and now its acting crazy, just my luck, during warranty was working perfectly...

Here's the deal, was working perfectly and then suddenly froze while working on it, had to hold down power button to shut off. Now when I try to turn on the laptop, about 50% of the time it will work, and the other 50% the power LED will turn on yet no noise at all (not even hard drive spinning) and nothing on the screen. The other 50% of the time when it does boot up correctly, the laptop will freeze up after about 5 min and the whole thing begins again.

Luckily, I have some spare parts to another R100 and I have tried replacing the battery, the memory, and the hard drive, yet all seem to still have the same problem... Any guesses? I really hope I didnt get screwed too badly by this online refurb company with such a short guarantee.

Thank you, and I apologize for being so lengthy.

Ok some more info -
I talked it over with some techies and they said it had to be the memory (LED on no hard drive spinning, no screen). But i had already tried that, I took a closer look at the RAM and noticed it said 256, but i knew i had a 512 machine. I booted the machine (after many attempts) without the RAM and it read that there was 256 MB of RAM once i took out the RAM.

Long story short - there is some RAM built in to the motherboard, and im pretty sure that went bad, now i have no idea how to replace it, i took apart the laptop and have the motherboard in front of me, there is a block that i assume to be the memory but im not too sure, i havent found anywhere online that has a decent map of the system board and points out where the built in RAM is...

ANY help at all would be GREATLY appreciated.

Best Regards

G'day, I'm having the same problem with my R100 did you manage to fix it?
-T

Me too, OMG it's a night mare. My R100 is laying open barebones at this moment as I try to find what's wrong. Any help would be much appreciated.

I too have the same exact problem. Did you manage to change the RAM on the motherboard? Or do you need a new motherboard altogether?

Hi, did you have any luck with this? I am in the same boat. Not sure what it is and am not sure about how to get it to go to the BIOS section either. Do I have to hold ESC while powering up or F1?
I get the power light on but no spinning of HD or anything else.
Help!! Thanks!
arif.padaria@gmail.com

First off, thank you for reading this and helping me.

OK, so i feel like a sucker because I saved a lot of money by buying a refurb Toshiba R100 and was so proud of myself, but my older bro was like you're gonna have problems with it. I didn't believe him and I was reassured by the 30 day warranty the online store provided.

I have had the laptop for about 45 days and now its acting crazy, just my luck, during warranty was working perfectly...

Here's the deal, was working perfectly and then suddenly froze while working on it, had to hold down power button to shut off. Now when I try to turn on the laptop, about 50% of the time it will work, and the other 50% the power LED will turn on yet no noise at all (not even hard drive spinning) and nothing on the screen. The other 50% of the time when it does boot up correctly, the laptop will freeze up after about 5 min and the whole thing begins again.

Luckily, I have some spare parts to another R100 and I have tried replacing the battery, the memory, and the hard drive, yet all seem to still have the same problem... Any guesses? I really hope I didnt get screwed too badly by this online refurb company with such a short guarantee.

Thank you, and I apologize for being so lengthy.

I'm having exactly the same problem, has anyone got any ideas yet!?

Hi all,

I experienced the same problem and a very good technician (not Tosh) gave me the solution. It is the VGA card which sometimes is disconnected from the motherboard.

The solution is to press the VGA card to reconnect it to the mobo. So just press on the keys below the numbers keys then you will see the HDD symbol to light on which means your laptop is booting up.

I hope it will helps you.

Madness Mango, you're a genius, have just come across this thread after a google search to try to sort out a frozen R100 and your solution worked instantly. As with other posts, power light was coming on and off when power button was pressed, but everything else completely dead, not booting up hard drive, screen blank, no other lights on etc. Firmly held down the line of keys under the number line (ie r-t-y-u) as I turned on the power and, miracle of miracles, it is back up and running. Fingers crossed it'll continue to work....

Top man!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.