"file system has allocation errors due to cross-linked files. run os built-in tools for checking and correcting such errors", that prompted before formatting which was cancelled due to error. i want to repair that hdd, but which program can i use? i cant really boot now because screen is broken (using external now) and external screen doesnt work until after-boot

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

What operating system are you running?

win 7

Ok. Boot it up. Go to the computer menu, select options for the hard drive, go to tools, and set it up to do a full disc scan and repair. It will say that you will need to reboot since it cannot do that when it is online. When you reboot, it will scan and repair (if possible) the disc.

The only other option is to boot a live Linux CD/DVD/USB drive, install the ntfs file system tools, and then run fsck.ntfs on the ntfs partition of the hard drive. I have done that before. The only problem is if the drive is encrypted.

I wonder, have you read my main post?

"Boot it up."
BUT
" cant really boot now because screen is broken (using external now) and external screen doesnt work until after-boot"

Yes, I read it - irrelevant since it does eventually boot and you can use the external screen. Even though the main screen doesn't display during the boot process, the technique I described (crudely) should still work.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.