I have brought a Seagate 250gb external USB hard drive to make backups with. One of my computers, a Dell Dimension 2400, will not boot if the drive is connected. THis makes it impossible to backup using Norton Ghost 2003. THe drive does, however, work on another (though newer) Dimension 2400, and an Acer Aspire laptop. THe only difference between the two dimensions are that the one which the drive will not boot with has the latest BIOS, whereas the newer one doesnt, and that the newer one has recently had to have Windows reinstalled. Is there any way top get my computer to boot with the drive connected? It comes up with an error of something like "Error with booting. F1 to retry or F2 to enter setup". If i disconnect the drive and hit F1, the computer will still not boot, and i am forced to cut the power in order to boot. Is this fixable?

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Or is there a way to increase the 3 second countdown in ghost to a time suficcient for me to connect the drive to be recognised by ghost when it starts?

Or is there a way to increase the 3 second countdown in ghost to a time suficcient for me to connect the drive to be recognised by ghost when it starts?

You need to go into the bios and make sure that your computer will only boot up off its hard drive.
Hope this helps
Techlord

Also make sure you have legacy USB support enable in your bios:!:

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.