Member Avatar for g_goyal2000

I have Windows XP SP2 (32-bit) with all the latest updates installed.
I have an AMD64 3200+ system.

Since last few days, I've been facing a serious problem.
Whenever I simply click on a video file (not open it) or open any other program, my Windows freezes.
I am not able to do anything like click anywhere on the screen, can't run any other program & keyboard presses have no response.
The only thing that works is task manager.

When I run the task manager, I noticed that there was program called dumprep.exe in the Processes tab.
It takes around 128 MB memory & 100% CPU.
When I close it using the End Process command, it closes & the CPU as well as memory usage returns to normal.
But then also Windows does not respond.
I eventally have to close Explorer.exe using the End Process command & then restart it using New Task.
But even after then I encounter the problem & not only with videos but other programs as well.

1. Haven't yet tried the safe mode.
2. I have updated video drivers.
3. I have latest & updated patches installed for Windows.
4. I have seperate graphics card - Nvidia GeForce FX5200 with 128 MB RAM.
5. Checked for virus, spywares. Found nothing. Using Pc-Cillin 2002 antivirus & Zonealarm Pro 6.5.722.000 firewall. Using broadband.
6. Disabled "Error Reporting" but still face the problem. I don't need to reboot my system.

I have not been able to found any satisfactory or related results on Google.

I don't know what's the problem.
Kindly look into the matter.

I don't want to reinstall Windows. I want to leave it as a last option.

I am having a very similar problem on a similar XP machine. My Tech support shop has been unhelpful in solving the problem. It seems to be related to internet access, as I can usually unplug it from the DSL and the machine is relatively stable. Though opening Firefox, outlook and a few other internet apps will quickly destabilize the maching with dumprep consuming about 133K of memory and 99 % of the CPU. This must be a trojan or worm, yet McAfee nor ZoneAlarm have seen anything suspicious.. Would appreciate any help on this...:sad:

I have Windows XP SP2 (32-bit) with all the latest updates installed.
I have an AMD64 3200+ system.

Since last few days, I've been facing a serious problem.
Whenever I simply click on a video file (not open it) or open any other program, my Windows freezes.
I am not able to do anything like click anywhere on the screen, can't run any other program & keyboard presses have no response.
The only thing that works is task manager.

When I run the task manager, I noticed that there was program called dumprep.exe in the Processes tab.
It takes around 128 MB memory & 100% CPU.
When I close it using the End Process command, it closes & the CPU as well as memory usage returns to normal.
But then also Windows does not respond.
I eventally have to close Explorer.exe using the End Process command & then restart it using New Task.
But even after then I encounter the problem & not only with videos but other programs as well.

1. Haven't yet tried the safe mode.
2. I have updated video drivers.
3. I have latest & updated patches installed for Windows.
4. I have seperate graphics card - Nvidia GeForce FX5200 with 128 MB RAM.
5. Checked for virus, spywares. Found nothing. Using Pc-Cillin 2002 antivirus & Zonealarm Pro 6.5.722.000 firewall. Using broadband.
6. Disabled "Error Reporting" but still face the problem. I don't need to reboot my system.

I have not been able to found any satisfactory or related results on Google.

I don't know what's the problem.
Kindly look into the matter.

I don't want to reinstall Windows. I want to leave it as a last option.

Hello g_goyal and pogle -

I've had the same issues with dumprep.exe crashing my machine with video files; mozilla firefox; and open office.org.

The culprit, believe it or not, is ZoneAlarm .722. I'll bet the probs start soon after an auto-update. See this thread:

http://discuss.pcmag.com/forums/1004325243/ShowPost.aspx

I'm presently upgrading to .737 so we'll see if that helps, however you can work around by disabling windows error reporting, which is what is calling the multiple instances of dumprep that are eating teh CPU. See this thread, a fair way down, for instructions:

http://www.pcnet-online.com/discus/messages/449/1273.html?1136325634

Good luck.

I am having a very similar problem on a similar XP machine. My Tech support shop has been unhelpful in solving the problem. It seems to be related to internet access, as I can usually unplug it from the DSL and the machine is relatively stable. Though opening Firefox, outlook and a few other internet apps will quickly destabilize the maching with dumprep consuming about 133K of memory and 99 % of the CPU. This must be a trojan or worm, yet McAfee nor ZoneAlarm have seen anything suspicious.. Would appreciate any help on this...:sad:

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.