I have Windows XP SP2 (32-bit) with all the latest updates installed.
I have an AMD64 3200+ system.
Since last few days, I've been facing a serious problem.
Whenever I simply click on a video file (not open it) or open any other program, my Windows freezes.
I am not able to do anything like click anywhere on the screen, can't run any other program & keyboard presses have no response.
The only thing that works is task manager.
When I run the task manager, I noticed that there was program called dumprep.exe in the Processes tab.
It takes around 128 MB memory & 100% CPU.
When I close it using the End Process command, it closes & the CPU as well as memory usage returns to normal.
But then also Windows does not respond.
I eventally have to close Explorer.exe using the End Process command & then restart it using New Task.
But even after then I encounter the problem & not only with videos but other programs as well.
1. Haven't yet tried the safe mode.
2. I have updated video drivers.
3. I have latest & updated patches installed for Windows.
4. I have seperate graphics card - Nvidia GeForce FX5200 with 128 MB RAM.
5. Checked for virus, spywares. Found nothing. Using Pc-Cillin 2002 antivirus & Zonealarm Pro 6.5.722.000 firewall. Using broadband.
6. Disabled "Error Reporting" but still face the problem. I don't need to reboot my system.
I have not been able to found any satisfactory or related results on Google.
I don't know what's the problem.
Kindly look into the matter.
I don't want to reinstall Windows. I want to leave it as a last option.