I have a funny one here. Friend bought a printer/scanner/fax and installed on an older computor (6yrs old) through the USB port. All installed OK BUT.. when turning the computor on and the USB/Printer connected it won't post - if you take the cable out it works !! Any ideas - the ones I have are that the USB software may be version 1.0 and not 2.0 that the printer needs or that the printer is shorting in someway..

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

I have a funny one here. Friend bought a printer/scanner/fax and installed on an older computor (6yrs old) through the USB port. All installed OK BUT.. when turning the computor on and the USB/Printer connected it won't post - if you take the cable out it works!! Any ideas - the ones I have are that the USB software may be version 1.0 and not 2.0 that the printer needs or that the printer is shorting in someway..

The USB 2.0 standard itself is backwards-compatible. What the more likely problem is that the motherboard chipset drivers need to be updated, since USB functionality is contained there. I have seen timing issues crop up when using newer USB devices under older drivers, so let's start with that.

Find out which brand and model of chipset that he has (or brand and model of motherboard or computer) and we can work back from there.

Member Avatar for TKSS

Definately check the drivers for the mobo. Also, a BIOS flash may be in order to bring it up to speed.

Probably have to update bios.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.