I am having a similar problem, however when i do click the start button on my compaq presario, the compaq logo, COMPAQ, appears on the screne, the fan starts and what seems to be the processor, and then it goes dead, switches off

Help!!

I am having a similar problem, however when i do click the start button on my compaq presario, the compaq logo, COMPAQ, appears on the screne, the fan starts and what seems to be the processor, and then it goes dead, switches off

Help!!

Sounds like it could be a low battery issue. If you remove the battery while the power cord is plugged in, it should still power up. If it doesn't, then you probably have the same broken wire on the DC input jack as I did. Also, if you know someone else with this type laptop, install your battery in theirs to get it fully charged and place it back in yours to see if all works ok. If it does power up properly after doing this, then this would be another indication that your laptop has a charging issue.

One other thing to do is watching the battery charge light on the front of the laptop - it should be illuminated while charging. If not, try a wiggle the power cord as it goes into the back of the laptop to see if this light comes on. This would again indicate that there is a loose wire back there like mine had several times.

Sounds like it could be a low battery issue. If you remove the battery while the power cord is plugged in, it should still power up. If it doesn't, then you probably have the same broken wire on the DC input jack as I did. Also, if you know someone else with this type laptop, install your battery in theirs to get it fully charged and place it back in yours to see if all works ok. If it does power up properly after doing this, then this would be another indication that your laptop has a charging issue.

One other thing to do is watching the battery charge light on the front of the laptop - it should be illuminated while charging. If not, try a wiggle the power cord as it goes into the back of the laptop to see if this light comes on. This would again indicate that there is a loose wire back there like mine had several times.

Thanks jfarc, removing the battery and plugging in the mains solved the rpoblem! Looks like it's time for a new battery.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.