I have a Sony desktop VGC-M1 it's about 18 months old. I don't use it very often, just for university work. I turned it on to intall a new printer.

I have no idea why but it went to system restore. So I thought I'd just restore it, there's nothing I need on the computer. So I set it to do the complete recovery. It keeps sticking at 93% done and come up with an error saying "Failed to read image file beacuse a stream reading error occured recover your computer again." So I tried to recover it again and keep getting the same message. I also tried C drive recovery and the partial C and D drive one. Nothing works.

I need the computer in a few weeks for work so any help would be great. I really have no idea what to do.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

I have a Sony desktop VGC-M1 it's about 18 months old. I don't use it very often, just for university work. I turned it on to intall a new printer.

I have no idea why but it went to system restore. So I thought I'd just restore it, there's nothing I need on the computer. So I set it to do the complete recovery. It keeps sticking at 93% done and come up with an error saying "Failed to read image file beacuse a stream reading error occured recover your computer again." So I tried to recover it again and keep getting the same message. I also tried C drive recovery and the partial C and D drive one. Nothing works.

I need the computer in a few weeks for work so any help would be great. I really have no idea what to do.

You might have services running at the same time as the sytem recovery. Instead of trying to quit each individual program, try booting into Windows safe mode. Hit the F8 key a bunch of times while the computer is booting, and you'll get a stripped-down Windows, running only the minimal services. Then try a system recovery.

If that doesn't work, I would suggest you backup any important data, and reformat your hard disk, because some of your data is probably corrupt.

LucyUK
I have had the same exact problem on my SONY VAIO PCV-RZ54G Desktop. "Stream Reading Error" except my error occurs at 40% done. Were you able to resolve the problem? I am in the same boat.
Thanks.:sad:
Nani

I am having the same issue with my SONY VAIO VGC-RB40 desktop. Using recovery disks I either get Stream Reading Error or Check Sum Error. Anyone know how to fix this? I tried a new hard drive today too, and that did not work

LucyUK
I have had the same exact problem on my SONY VAIO PCV-RZ54G Desktop. "Stream Reading Error" except my error occurs at 40% done. Were you able to resolve the problem? I am in the same boat.
Thanks.:sad:
Nani

Stream Reading Error or Check Sum Error

sounds like corruption

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.