i have a major problem with my c - media ac97 audio device. my computer crashed and ive just recently rebooted it but now i cant get the sound to work. ive tried to install the driver for the speakers but it doesnt seem to work. everytime i try to find out what the problem is a :!: appears next to the drive and says a code 10???

what i want to know is what the hell does that mean?

if anybody has any suggestions please dont hesitate to let me know, cheers.

Tan man!!

i have a major problem with my c - media ac97 audio device. my computer crashed and ive just recently rebooted it but now i cant get the sound to work. ive tried to install the driver for the speakers but it doesnt seem to work. everytime i try to find out what the problem is a :!: appears next to the drive and says a code 10???

what i want to know is what the hell does that mean?

if anybody has any suggestions please dont hesitate to let me know, cheers.

Tan man!!

Windows seems to see the sound card as a C-Media AC97 sound card, while it is actually a RealTek AC97 card.After numerous uninstalls and re-stalls and driver updates from all sources, I loaded the RealTek AC97 drivers instead. After a PC restart, with fingernails to bone, IT WORKED!

Try your motherboard site to anylise the problem.

Cheers & beers
slyd

Hi slyd,

Could you please post the link to the CORRECT drivers that worked for you?

I am on WIN2000.

Thanks,

riverguy

Hi slyd,

Could you please post the link to the CORRECT drivers that worked for you?

I am on WIN2000.

Thanks,

riverguy

Hi there riverguy!

I actually went onto my motherboard site, and let their system analyse my m/board. The result was that they indicated I had incorrect drivers (c-media), and gave me an option to download the realtek drivers there.

But, here's a link to what might be the drivers for you.

http://www.download.com/Realtek-AC-97-Driver-Windows-98-Me-2000-XP-2003-/3000-2120_4-10238712.html

download, install, and let me know how it pans out.

best wishes for a happy pc....
slyd

Hi there riverguy!

I actually went onto my motherboard site, and let their system analyse my m/board. The result was that they indicated I had incorrect drivers (c-media), and gave me an option to download the realtek drivers there.

http://www.download.com/Realtek-AC-97-Driver-Windows-98-Me-2000-XP-2003-/3000-2120_4-10238712.html

slyd

Hi slyd,

Thanks for the info. Did as you suggested and all is well.

Thanks a bunch

Hi there riverguy!

slyd

Dear Slyd!
Thank you very much for all of your help! I was about to die when my PC has lost its sound after the system has been re-installed! Thanks God I found your advise on the net! Now I can listen to my favorite Scooters in full sound! Now my PC is really happy as well as I am!
Thank you!

Hi there DaisyFlower.
I'm really chuffed that my suggestion worked for you too.
Happy listening!
slyd

Slyd

you should have taken out a copyright on this answer. Just spent the last day and a half trying to get sound before I remembered daniweb.

Don't know what us amateurs would do without you clever guys

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.