Hi guys. I am a huge gamer but also love macs. Hard to be both and I would love to have a computer that could run high quality games but also be as shiny organized looking as a mac. Anyway, with the new intel core duo processors in the MacBooks and the MacBook Pros and the possibility to run windows on them, I was wondering if you could run a game like Guild Wars or Counter Strike on it that are only made for windows OS? Would it work on a black macbook with 2 gigs of ram? Would it work at all? Would I have to buy a macbook pro? Would I be able to run a program like ventrilo or team speak? These might be question to ask at the mac store but I thought I would give it a shot here first. Thanks guys,
Kevin

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Hi guys. I am a huge gamer but also love macs. Hard to be both and I would love to have a computer that could run high quality games but also be as shiny organized looking as a mac. Anyway, with the new intel core duo processors in the MacBooks and the MacBook Pros and the possibility to run windows on them, I was wondering if you could run a game like Guild Wars or Counter Strike on it that are only made for windows OS? Would it work on a black macbook with 2 gigs of ram? Would it work at all? Would I have to buy a macbook pro? Would I be able to run a program like ventrilo or team speak? These might be question to ask at the mac store but I thought I would give it a shot here first. Thanks guys,
Kevin

Any Intel Mac can run Windows XP, and any modern computer that can run Windows XP will be able to run any game made for XP. So, to answer your question, all new Macs will be able to run any Windows XP game. The biggest question is how fast will it run.

For example, I have one of the MacBooks, and although it has a very snappy processor (1.83 Ghz Dual Core), the video card is built-in and as a result, the graphics are pretty low. So it can run Windows games, but not great. Good gaming Macs include iMacs, Mac Pros (of course!), and MacBook Pros. The biggest difference between MacBooks and MacBook Pros is that MacBook Pros have very decent NVidia cards, so choose that if you want the ultimate gaming laptop. And of course you'll need a copy of Windows XP for your Mac.

Alright...So you think that with the macbook pro I should be able to run a game such as the ones I mention without trouble meaning smooth graphics and gaming? I would hate to buy a 3k dollar laptop to find out I can't even do what I love on it. Hehe.

The MacBook Pro is a wicked gaming machine. Don't worry about that...

The MacBook isn't totally bad for gaming, it's just not meant for serious gaming. I don't know how Call Of Duty 2 would perform on Windows XP on a MacBook, but on Mac OS X it ran at 30 FPS no problem (funny thing is that MacWorld claimed it ran unbearably slow on MacBooks).

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.