I have just blown my 4th monitor in 4 years.

The first one (came with the computer) blew in 2 weeks. The replacement blew in a few months. The third one was from a different manufactuer and lasted a little over 1 year. the fourth one was from another manufactuer and lasted about 2 years. I used the monitors in different locations aka different apartments... so, I'm guessing that it isn't the electrical wiring in my house (and I have a surge/power strip and it's grounded) The only thing that these monitors had in common is the HP pavilion PC that I hooked them up to. Any thoughts?

Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

Hello,

Do you place materials on top of your monitor, such as papers or folders? Do you have your monitor in an enclosed bookshelf that prevents proper cooling of the unit? Does the monitor experience temperature extremes? Do you have a plant above the monitor, and it drip water into it (I saw this at an office once!)?

I agree you have an issue there. I wonder if it is overheating or seeing other issues.

Christian

The monitors were (always were) free and clear of any dust, water/chemicals, folders/papers, enclosures, temperature extremes.... they weren't pushed up against anything.... I wasn't full of static.... no magnets.... I can't figure it out. I thought that maybe it had something to do with the "make" of monitor, which is why I switched manufactuers. Now, I'm wondering if it doesn't have something to do with the video card or something with the computer itself. One monitor I can understand, but 4 monitors??? Something just ain't right!

Jen

Jen,

Agree that something is not right with your situation. It sounds like you took good care of them. The next natural question would involve the video card. I am not aware of people who have meters and test equipment to check out the video circuitry.... most people / companies replace instead of repair. You may wish to go that route.... get a different video card in there.

I have seen cases where one color went out... you get a blue, or a red screen, and changing the monitor does not help. But I have not seen a case of a PC eating a monitor.

Do you have a mere power surge/strip, or a UPS? Do you get quick little power outages often? That is the only sensible cause that I can think of concerning the monitor....

Christian

Is it the same make and model monitor? You'd better give us the brand and model so we can avoid it... :)

HP say no more !:)
I agree with kc0arf ,its most likely something in the HP causing it ,or just shithouse luck[all bad ]

Is it the same make and model monitor? You'd better give us the brand and model so we can avoid it... :)

The first one was bundled with the computer package (HP). The computer store replaced that one with the same make and model (HP) since I only had it a couple of weeks. The third one was an Optiquest. The fourth one was something that began with a Q______ . I'm using an NEC right now.......... stay tuned to see if I can blow that one too. I really want to get a flat panel, but I'm not forking out more than $100 for another monitor until I figure out why the hell they keep blowing.

HP say no more !:)
I agree with kc0arf ,its most likely something in the HP causing it ,or just shithouse luck[all bad ]

I kindda have a feeling that this computer has some mysterious illness. I can't believe that my luck would be that shitty.... although, I have had 5 broken windsheilds in my life and I'm not that old!

Oh, the whole monitor just goes black. All of the colors disappear. Sometimes, there is a faint little colorful blip in the background that you can kindda make out. There does seem to be a little "noise" right before it happens. I can't describe the noise, but it reminds me of a lightbulb blowing.

Member Avatar for TKSS

I have just blown my 4th monitor in 4 years.

The first one (came with the computer) blew in 2 weeks. The replacement blew in a few months. The third one was from a different manufactuer and lasted a little over 1 year. the fourth one was from another manufactuer and lasted about 2 years. I used the monitors in different locations aka different apartments... so, I'm guessing that it isn't the electrical wiring in my house (and I have a surge/power strip and it's grounded) The only thing that these monitors had in common is the HP pavilion PC that I hooked them up to. Any thoughts?

Thanks

I would try to see what your outlet on the wall is rated at and that it is actually providing the correct voltage AND amps to the monitor. If you plugged it into the same outlet each time...I'd suspect a bad power outlet or perhaps an insufficient ground.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.