I have a 40gig HD, 3.0 ghz pent 4 processor (800mhz 1mb cache), 512 DDR ram (400mhz), Geforce FX 5200 (256mb) 420 watt power supply... So far ive tryed a lot, 3 different monitors, 3 different video cards. I have NO DISPLAY AT ALL, screen is blank, says its in power saver mode. no clue what to do, please help, thanks

Recommended Answers

All 19 Replies

does the mobo use onboard gfx? if so plug into that first

if not take everthing out aparnt from
hdd, mobo, 1 stick of ram, cpu, psu, gfx card if it then doesn't boot

new mobo TBPFH

you can try to boot the mobo out of the case in the eventuality where u could have a bad contact under the board.

you can try to boot the computer w/o rams as well if you dont even have a post code beep ( assuming your pc speaker is plug in ) then it might be a dead motherboard

wolfien-

hmm, none of that worked :( you think it might be power supply?

hmm, none of that worked :( you think it might be power supply?

Yeah it could be ,you say no display at all ,does it post, do the fans run ,does the harddrive spin!!??

ok, everything runs...im not exactly sure about the harddrive though :\ but i think it is

Ok, Ive figured out this much, when the harddrive is connected to motherboard it doesnt run, same for the CD drive, when I dissconect them they run fine, just not connected to motherboard :\ I am pretty sure that it is the motherboard, is it that they arnt compatable or is it the motherboard being screwed up?

Ok, Ive figured out this much, when the harddrive is connected to motherboard it doesnt run, same for the CD drive, when I dissconect them they run fine, just not connected to motherboard :\ I am pretty sure that it is the motherboard, is it that they arnt compatable or is it the motherboard being screwed up?

I never saw any incompatibility issue with cd or hd on a motherboard...
it COULD be the jumper.. make sure your HD is set on master.. and try maybe using a different ide port for your CD. ( master as well on the second ide )
Don't use cable select thing.. It might screw up things...

If you have the posibility to test the power supply either on another computer or with a powersupply tester.

Well, if you could, could you tell me how to do all that stuff in a more detailed way? lol im anoob :(

didnt work :(

Are the CD-ROM and Hard drive on the same IDE cable?

no, seprate cables

Why don't you try a master/slave setup with one cable. Set your CD-ROM jumper to slave and your hard drive to master and plug the one cable into your primary IDE port.

Double check that you did not accidentally switch the mouse and keyboard connectors

oky well the best troubleshoot you could do is that.

1. Take everything apparts.. remove the mother board from the case.

2. Put the mother board on a safe spot.. like on some wood surface or on a antstatic bag.

3. Plug only the power, cpu, ram and the pc speaker, try to start it up ( you can short the 2 pins where u plug the power switch with a small screw driver )

4. NORMALY it should beep to tell you that the video card is absent. (unless you have one onboard )

5. Plug your graphic card and your monitor.. start it up.
If it doesn't start at that point.. there's a serious problem...

Check jumper / dip switch IF you have any one it...

make sure the CMOS reset jumper is on the right position.. in case it would be in "reset" position that would be your problem ;)

6. If it starts, add ONE after the other each of you peripheral...
you should find the problem that way..

hope it helped you

wolfien-

Everything on the computer is connected correctly, had a friend double check. I think there might be something wrong with the motherboard, cause the hard drive only doesnt work while its pluged into the motherboard. I used this hard drive on another computer and it worked perfectly. Ive tryed many different cables. :'(

Also I might add, that to turn my computer on, I have to turn the power supply switch on, my power switch for the computer doesnt work for some reason :\ Ive looked in the book to make sure I connected them correctly and they are. Im not sure if that would be a problem but I just wanted to point that out

Also I might add, that to turn my computer on, I have to turn the power supply switch on, my power switch for the computer doesnt work for some reason :\ Ive looked in the book to make sure I connected them correctly and they are. Im not sure if that would be a problem but I just wanted to point that out

This is not for everyone ,but what I do in this case to check the front switch is to take the wires off the motherboard front panel connectore ,and use a screwdriver to jump the 2 pins for the PSW.if the computer boots then there is a problem with the switch or the way its wired .

Mine did the same thing!! After talking to some tec guys this is what I found out. The ram was bad. Well not bad but in my case dustbunnies. I took the ram out. Cleaned it reinstalled the ram and poof no more window problems!! So I hope this helps if not maybey the ram is bad??..........peace.....im out

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.