I inherited my wifes old pc and I am trying to upgrade it for a new video card so I can use it for new games. Before I invest in a good card I am trying to determine the motherboard's bus type. I need a minimum card compatiable to ATI 9500 series. Any help?
My pc/board info :
Processor(s) Number of processors1Number of cores1 per processorNumber of threads1 (max 1) per processorNameIntel Pentium 4Code NameWillametteSpecificationIntel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 1500MHzPackageSocket 478 mPGAFamily/Model/SteppingF.0.AExtended Family/ModelF.0Brand ID8Core SteppingC1Technology0.18 umCore Speed1500.3 MHzMultiplier x Bus speed15.0 x 100.0 MHzRated Bus speed400.1 MHzStock frequency1500 MHzInstruction setsMMX, SSE, SSE2L1 Data cache8 KBytes, 4-way set associative, 64-byte line sizeTrace cache12 Kuops, 8-way set associativeL2 cache256 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64-byte line sizeChipset & Memory NorthbridgeIntel i845 rev. A3SouthbridgeIntel 82801BA (ICH2) rev. 12Memory TypeSDRAMMemory Size768 MBytesMemory Frequency133.4 MHz (3:4)CAS# Latency (tCL)3.0 clocksRAS# to CAS# (tRDC)3 clocksRAS# Precharge (tRP)3 clocksCycle Time (tRAS)6 clocksSystem System Manufacturer System Name System S/N Mainboard Vendor Mainboard Modeli845BIOS VendorAward Software International, Inc.BIOS Version6.00 PGBIOS Date08/27/2001Memory SPD Module 1SDRAM, PC133 (133 MHz), 256 MBytes, unknown brandModule 2SDRAM, PC133 (133 MHz), 256 MBytes, SpecTek IncorporatedModule 3SDRAM, PC133 (133 MHz), 256 MBytes, KingstonSoftware Windows VersionMicrosoft Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 (Build 2600) DirectX Version9.0c

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

It should say in your motherboard manual. If not, or you lost your manual, open up your case, locate the video card slot and compare it to the images at the following Wikipedia articles:
PCI-e
AGP
PCI-X

Unfortunately, the 9500 series is only available in AGP 3.0. So if your PC only has PCI-whatever slots you are out of luck there.

PS: Your system info is messy as all hell. Please clean up specs before you post them. Its just common courtesy, like making an effort with spelling and grammer.

PS: Your system info is messy as all hell. Please clean up specs before you post them. Its just common courtesy, like making an effort with spelling and grammer.

I dont see what is wrong with it, I can read it fine.

as for the 9500 series isnt that a really old card though i have a X300 which im pretty sure is a newer GPU and that only barly runs new games on the lowests Specs. If you want a card that will run all the new games that are out then i would suggest getting at least an ATI X700(provided it is indeed PCI-E you have) or an equivilent to that. Because you have an older motherboard then it is a prossibility that it will be APG but then there are alot of decent graphics cards out for PCI that you may want to look at.

Another thing to keep in mind is that most of the next generation games are going to be running the new UT engine so you might want to get something that will support that as well

For me it is one big block of text. The boldface and colour help somewhat but spacing would help much more. Attached is how is displays for me, on Mozilla and IE.

Thanks for the reply. I will clean up the info next time. I know I have 5 pci slots and 1 AGP slot and one slot labeld CNR1. The AGP looks like a AGP 1.5 but I am not sure. Is there any way to find out exactly what it is based on the info from the motherboard/cpuz? The pc was purchased from a pc show so it is not a name brand. It doesn't have a manual. I don't want to stuck with an incompatiable card. I am confident that this pc doesn't have pci-x. Is there a website that could tell me about the motherboard and what it came with? Thanks for the info again.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.