My viao laptop went dead suddenly while working. I tried pulling out the batter and putting it back and switching it on.. but still would not start. what could the problem ? can anyone please help ??

it is a dual core laptop with windows MCE

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

When we get one of these at our call centre, we do two things.

1. Check the fuse - it's surprising how often people think they're running on mains when they're actually on battery and the battery has gone flat. It could even be a loose mains cord into the PSU box (had those before, too).

2. Exactly what you did - remove the mains, remove the battery, try powering from mains only having checked the fuse and connections.

If it won't power then we either refer to Sony in first year, or uplift to the workshop if under extended warranty.

Potential problems can be a loose or broken socket on the laptop itself or a dead charger. If in doubt, we take the charger as suspect with the laptop.

Thanks for ur reply.
I am sure it is nothing to do with battery goinng dead, coz i was working with the laptop and suddenly everything went blank !!! no display.. no leds.. nothing.
If it had been a battery going dead condition... then atleast it would have indicated a low battery and then had gone into hibernate.. as it did at many other occassions...
Yes I did remove the batter , and kept the laptop on mains.. -- did not start up !!
Do u suspect internal fuse ? mother board blow up ?

thanks.

When we get one of these at our call centre, we do two things.

1. Check the fuse - it's surprising how often people think they're running on mains when they're actually on battery and the battery has gone flat. It could even be a loose mains cord into the PSU box (had those before, too).

2. Exactly what you did - remove the mains, remove the battery, try powering from mains only having checked the fuse and connections.

If it won't power then we either refer to Sony in first year, or uplift to the workshop if under extended warranty.

Potential problems can be a loose or broken socket on the laptop itself or a dead charger. If in doubt, we take the charger as suspect with the laptop.

I don't think there is an internal fuse (could be wrong, but out of literally thousands of laptop uplifts for no power, I've never seen one returned with 'replaced fuse' on the workshop docket - it's nearly always the mobo or the power socket).

Just check that power socket. Is it loose at all? Is the centre pin still there? Obvious, I know, but best to be sure.

If you can't see anything you could try and fix yourself (I'm assuming this isn't under Sony warranty any more), it is quite likely the mobo.

thanks for all the suggestions..
Couldnt do anything more with that so sent the laptp to vaio repair centre.(covered under warranty :lol: !)

I don't think there is an internal fuse (could be wrong, but out of literally thousands of laptop uplifts for no power, I've never seen one returned with 'replaced fuse' on the workshop docket - it's nearly always the mobo or the power socket).

Just check that power socket. Is it loose at all? Is the centre pin still there? Obvious, I know, but best to be sure.

If you can't see anything you could try and fix yourself (I'm assuming this isn't under Sony warranty any more), it is quite likely the mobo.

That's good news! Sony usually get it fixed within 5 days (in the UK) so you shouldn't have long to wait.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.