Hi,

Ive been having this problem for a few months now.

When I reboot, or power up the PC, I get error beeps and then nothing.

The beeps happen before anything is displayed on the screen. The beeps are 2 extremely short beeps, back to back, then 6 independant short beeps. Sad to do this but kinda like: "bipbip....Beep....Beep....Beep....Beep....Beep....Beep".

After much fidgetting, i have figured out that i can get it to boot but pressing on the RAM module, or the motherboard in that area before the beeps start, so basically as soon as I hit the reset button I start poking at it and it boots.

When it gets past the point where it normally makes the beeps, i usually makes 1 single beep and tells me there is a keyboard/interface error, or occasionaly i will get an "overclocking failed" error.

There is another sound which is the same as sound the system makes if you hold down keys for too long during boot... a very quick repetitive "clicking". This can also be rectified by pushing on the RAM module/mobo, or it simply goes away by itself by the time the first XP logo comes up.

I tried today to bypass shutting down the PC, instead using standby or hibernate; hibernate yields the same results, and standby worked ok except an error appeared when windows loaded up again stating "Power surge on USB HUB" and then gave me the option to reset the hub after disconnecting the devices (easier said than done since keyboard and mouse are both USB).

If anyone has ANY idea whats happening here, Id be most thankful.

The system is a Pentium 4 2.8Ghz on a Asus P4P800S-SE mobo. Using 512meg of DDRAM (dont have specs will get them if need be). Running a Radeon 9600 graphics card, and there is also a SCSI card and an old D-Link Dialup modem (i will try removing and booting without these as well).

Thanks in advance, and sorry for the essay!

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

I can't find any reference to 2-6 beeps as you described.

Mixing and matching throws up 2 beeps (memory), 8 beeps (video RAM), 2-3-3 (memory again), 6 beeps (mobo fault or keyboard controller (same thing) fault). This is looking at all codes, and not just one BIOS type.

Do you know what BIOS you have? (Edit: it's Award, I think)

You seem to have found a link to keyboard and/or RAM with what you've tried.

(Edit: Other advice I found is to contact Asus Tech Support with 'abnormal' codes. The 2-6 isn't listed anywhere I could immediately find, though other people have reported it)

I can't find any reference to 2-6 beeps as you described.

Mixing and matching throws up 2 beeps (memory), 8 beeps (video RAM), 2-3-3 (memory again), 6 beeps (mobo fault or keyboard controller (same thing) fault). This is looking at all codes, and not just one BIOS type.

Do you know what BIOS you have? (Edit: it's Award, I think)

You seem to have found a link to keyboard and/or RAM with what you've tried.

(Edit: Other advice I found is to contact Asus Tech Support with 'abnormal' codes. The 2-6 isn't listed anywhere I could immediately find, though other people have reported it)

Gday, thanks for the reply. I have a feeling its motherboard since its keyboard linked also but I dont know enough about hardware to say it for sure.

I checked BIOS info...
Model: P4P800S-SE
Version: 1006.003
Chipset: I848P
Date: 07/05/2004-14:52:23
Bios Size: 384K
BIOS Type: AMI

I just used the ASUS auto update for this. I should mention that I thought it might have been a bios issue when this first started happening so i upgraded to this bios with no difference.

I have a feeling ill be upgrading to a conroe sometime soon :eek:

Thanks again!

"Beta" on Asus BIOS files doesn't mean the same as in "beta software": It just indicates that the core BIOS isn't fully tested again. That's why many last Asus BIOS images for a product still wear that "beta" label. You can compare it better to the "hotfixes" MS releases.

Adding mechanical pressure to a certain region on the board improves things? This pretty clearly indicates a physical damage of the mainboard OR bad contacts on the memory slots/card slots. Mainboards are often damaged while installing the CPU cooler or other occasions where too much brute force seems to be required. But I've seen mobos that came out of the box with a hairline crack, too.

Contacting the Asus support is a good hint, I've made real good experience with them.

(off the topic)
"beta" means "work in progress" regardless if it is bios or some media player. But, then again, ASUS must confident to a certain level that it is usable if they make it available for download.

(on the topic)
I seriously doubt that this BIOS is rendering mobo useless, but I still think that it is not wise to use beta BIOS while troubleshooting.

Hey Guys,

Thanks for the advice but it was a fried motherboard. Not sure what the problem was but obviously it was an actual hardware fault.

The problem started before I flashed to that bios version. I checked out the RAM, and video card, as well as all other combinations.

Ended up buying a conroe but also got a dodgy motherboard with it so returned it and on the way home found an MSI s478 motherboard for 1/10 the cost of the conroe... CPU and RAM turned out to be fine so ive just ditched the dodgy ASUS motherboard! it was good while it lasted though :)

Thanks again for your help.

Chewy

MSI s478 motherboard for 1/10 the cost of the conroe...

Reminds me of a saying that goes something like this:"I'm not rich enough to afford cheap stuff."

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.