I think I killed my monitor.

Here's what happened:

First, my little brother was playing some game. Something happened (he doesn't know) and suddenly the amount we could see on our monitor was very little. What I mean is, the actual amount of screen that was being used by the monitor was very little. So I went into the monitor menu using the keys on the monitor (It's a viewsonic E771) and adjusted the horizontal to the right amount, and I maxed out the vertical but it still wouldn't reach. Somehow, through fooling around I fixed it, kind of. It's not perfect, but it is almost done.

However, in doing so I created a new problem.

Now, my monitor only displays 16 colours. I've done everything I can think of, going through control pannel ->display and all that, and my only options are 16 colours or 2 colours, where as it used to have 4 or 5 options. Also, my screen area is now stuck at 640 x 480, when it used to be 800 x 600. This I also can't change, and looking through microsofts website I couldn't figure anything out.

Anyone know what to do?

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Hi Dave,

I think that somewhere during the process you've 'killed' the drivers for the display card, or changed the settings so that a standard VGA display driver is being used.

Use display properties -> settings -> adaptor -> change

See if the correct display card is listed there and change back to it.

Otherwise reinstall the display card driver and all should be well with a bit of luck.

I have a problem with the colour on my monitor too. I moved it from one side of the desk to the other and now the whole left side of the screen has gone a strange colour. Help?

I have a problem with the colour on my monitor too. I moved it from one side of the desk to the other and now the whole left side of the screen has gone a strange colour. Help?

stretched the cable a little to far maybe ,check connection to the back of the computer .move it back and what happens

II'm also having a problem with My AOC 22in. The color just went kaput.Have been sitting here playing with the color adjustments,and can't get my color back. Now this has happened before and was able to get it back. I'm doing the same thing I did before ,but this time NADA.Any suggestions.Thanks
-Carl

Can you try to reseat the graphics card and ram.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.