I recently bought a Seagate ATA 250 GB HD (internal) set the jumpers to master and installed it in a Comp USA enclosure to be used as a backup. HD uses USB connectivity. When plugged in the LED in the enclosure has a constant red on top and a slow blinking green on the bottom. When I go into the system hardware the new HD shows up under "USB mass storage" but has a yellow flag next to it. When I double click this, up pops a box that says this device can't start, code 10. I've used the Seagate disc to facilitate the installation, no luck. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the HD , same outcome. Not being the brightest bulb in the box leaves me at a disadvantage. All techno help appreciated.

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

From the microsoft support website:

"Code 10
If the device has a "FailReasonString" value in its hardware key, that string is displayed as the error message. The driver or enumerator places this registry string value there. If there is no "FailReasonString" in the hardware key, the following generic error message is displayed:
This device is either not present, not working properly, or does not have all the drivers installed. (Code 10)

Try upgrading the device drivers for this device.

Solution button: Update Driver

To resolve this error code, make sure the device is connected to the computer correctly. For example, make sure all cables are plugged in fully and that all adapter cards are properly seated. Follow the suggested solution button and update the device driver. It may be possible to remove the device and redetect it using the Add New Hardware wizard. "

First off, thank you El Dortz for taking your time to help me. I have done the following:
Opened the external HD, changed the jumper to slave from master (this caused the LED to stop blinking and show a continous red and green.) Made sure the connectors were poloraized right and seated.
Uninstalled and reinstalled the HD.
Did an "update driver" response: "the wizard could not find a better match for your hardware than the software you currently have installed".
Under "driver file details"
C:\Windows\system 32\drivers\USB STOR.sys
Also, the system hangs up at the boot screen(when the new HD is powered) and I have to go into either system or BIOS, agree with present settings then continue on in the logon process. If I boot the system and the new HD is powered down it goes through the normal logon.

enjoy the day
D. Graine

From the microsoft support website:

"Code 10
If the device has a "FailReasonString" value in its hardware key, that string is displayed as the error message. The driver or enumerator places this registry string value there. If there is no "FailReasonString" in the hardware key, the following generic error message is displayed:
This device is either not present, not working properly, or does not have all the drivers installed. (Code 10)

Try upgrading the device drivers for this device.

Solution button: Update Driver

To resolve this error code, make sure the device is connected to the computer correctly. For example, make sure all cables are plugged in fully and that all adapter cards are properly seated. Follow the suggested solution button and update the device driver. It may be possible to remove the device and redetect it using the Add New Hardware wizard. "

What kind of a USB port are you connecting the drive to? USB 1.1 or USB 2.0? Sometimes, this issue occurs if you use a USB 1.1 connector. If the computer does not have a USB 2.0 port, you can purchase a PCI USB card. See if this resolves the issue.

What kind of a USB port are you connecting the drive to? USB 1.1 or USB 2.0? Sometimes, this issue occurs if you use a USB 1.1 connector. If the computer does not have a USB 2.0 port, you can purchase a PCI USB card. See if this resolves the issue.

The system is 2 months old and the HD is 1 month. USB 2.0

The EXACT same thing as you describe happened to me today too.
Any more guesses about what the problem could be?

The EXACT same thing as you describe happened to me today too.
Any more guesses about what the problem could be?

The problem ended up being the external HD case I bought (Comp USA brand) couldn't drive the Seagate 250 GB HD. Returned the case, switched to a Mad Dog brand and everything is "plug and play". Good luck on yours.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.