Hey everyone,
I want to connect my laptop to my hdtv so i can play games and watch videos on my tv. Please help me figure out how to do this!

I have a Dell Inspiron 6000
Video card- ATI Mobility Radeon x300 -128mb
My tv is a rear projection HDTV by sony.
I'm pretty sure it's either a 54" or a 56" screen.

I want to connect my laptop to my tv so i can watch some videos/ movies on my tv through using my computer. I have a s-video and a vga on the back of my laptop.
For my tv, i think theres a s-video, hdmi, two red green and blue plug holes, and lots of red white and yellow plug holes.

What is the best way I can connect my laptop to my TV with the best quality? Because from what i know, s-videos show very crappy images, and I want the best quality I can get using what I have.

Thanks in advance.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

I have a s-video and a vga on the back of my laptop.

What is the best way I can connect my laptop to my TV with the best quality? Because from what i know, s-videos show very crappy images, and I want the best quality I can get using what I have.

You're right -- HDMI is much better quality than S-Video. However, you won't be doing anything better if you have a converter to change the S-Video signal to HDMI, because you're essentially sending S-Video quality down an digital connection.

For my tv, i think theres a s-video, hdmi, two red green and blue plug holes, and lots of red white and yellow plug holes.

So the best option is to use the VGA to Component-video (Component is the Red/Green/Blue inputs), which is slightly better than S-Video, although not by that much. To do so, you'll need a VGA to Component video cable, which should something like this:
http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/vga-rgb-component.html

You can get this cable at your local RadioShack.

thanks! ill try it out

when i connect vga from laptop to tv with component, all i get on the tv is a black screen with green dots. is the resolution on the computer to hi or low for the tv or what should i do do actually get the video working

I have an HP laptop and a Sony HDTV read projection that I have had connected successfully for over a month and all of a sudden I can't get a connection any more. It seems that the laptop is working but because when I plug in the HDMI connector is flashes a little like it always did, but my TV isn't changing. Any suggestions.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.