I have an Intel(R) 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller, version 6.14.10.3691. I have been unable to run many newer games. Not brand new, I know this system couldn't play anything really incredible, but ~1-2 years old, games whos mininum system specs i meet in all areas and even exceed in a few. My problem is Pixel Shader 1.1 support. Appaprently i don't have it, even though i have DX9.0c installed and running. So, is there a driver upgrade i can download that will enable support, or am i out of luck?

Even though there is some confusion about emulated pixel shaders in openGL games - pixel and vertex shaders are hardware functions. They have to be supported by the GPU and most games don't support emulated ones. This is mostly because the performance would suffer beyond usability. Loading the CPU with such an emulation won't leave much cycles for the rest of the game, especially because another elementary function - transform and lighing - is already packed upon your poor CPU because the integrated video doesn't support it.

Any used ($10?) DX8- Geforce or Radeon would perform better than that.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.