I'm about to buy a computer (I've chosen the parts myself). It has a SATA 300 g HDD... I also have a IDE 30 g HDD from before and I wonder, can I take the SATA out and put the IDE in and install Windows on it and then put in the SATA. Can you mix IDE and SATA. Some whom I've asked said I shouldn't mix them but my computer I have now has a SATA and a IDE in it...

Recommended Answers

All 21 Replies

It shouldn't be a problem. The ATA and SATA use different cables and both hdds will operate independently from each other without having to make one the master and the other slave.

it will work. but if you use ONLY sata, you will get a much better performance, which IMO beats the extra 30Gb.

windows xp needs driver floppies etc... if you want to install on SATA so you may be easier installing onto IDE

Thx

it will work. but if you use ONLY sata, you will get a much better performance, which IMO beats the extra 30Gb.

There is no problem using both types of hdds, the SATA is going to be the faster drive, but I don't think you are going to experience any appreciable difference is normal use. Set the SATA up as your primary drive and use the ATA for storage.

There is no problem using both types of hdds, the SATA is going to be the faster drive, but I don't think you are going to experience any appreciable difference is normal use. Set the SATA up as your primary drive and use the ATA for storage.

no problem at all, only that the entire system will work with the speed of the slowest component. usually the slowest component is the hard drive, since it had mechanical speeds, when the CPU and RAM have electronic speeds.
That means that the slowest HDD (currently the 30Gb) will be the one setting up the speed for the entire system.
I'd put it outside in a usb rack or something, for storage and data carrying :)

no problem at all, only that the entire system will work with the speed of the slowest component. usually the slowest component is the hard drive, since it had mechanical speeds, when the CPU and RAM have electronic speeds.
That means that the slowest HDD (currently the 30Gb) will be the one setting up the speed for the entire system.
I'd put it outside in a usb rack or something, for storage and data carrying :)

What difference does it make in having the ATA drive externally operated opposed to leaving it in the computer?

What difference does it make in having the ATA drive externally operated opposed to leaving it in the computer?

when it works as a usb external drive, it is not used by the system for the system's purposes. just like a cdrw wouldn't slow the computer down, because it's not an integral part of the system

when it works as a usb external drive, it is not used by the system for the system's purposes. just like a cdrw wouldn't slow the computer down, because it's not an integral part of the system

I think we're talking racers and mini vans again, but I see your point.:lol:

no this is a very serious difference actually. if you want to see my point without benchmarking, try to add an old 420Mb hdd into a new computer with a fast drive. you'll see the difference right away

no this is a very serious difference actually. if you want to see my point without benchmarking, try to add an old 420Mb hdd into a new computer with a fast drive. you'll see the difference right away

You do like extremes.:eek:

btw, interesting what happens when you google members' names.:lol:

You do like extremes.:eek:

well, I said - without even benchmarking ;)

btw, interesting what happens when you google members' names.:lol:

mine, on most forums is Olorin :) but google even found my old posts in winamp forum :)

Stuki, The amount of performance that you would gain by placing the ATA hdd in an external enclosure is something you would probably never notice in your situation. The bottom line in answering your question is yes you can use both ATA and SATA together in a computer.

I don't know what jbennet is talking about, if you couldn't install Windows on a SATA hdd they wouldn't be selling. Windows is not exclusive to IDE installations.

well its true. Ive installed XP on 8 pcs with SATA and 3 of them required me to choose "push f6 to ibsert a driver floppy for your scsi/raid controller"

see:

http://forums.hexus.net/showthread.php?t=20748
http://cruftbox.com/blog/archives/000867.html
http://www.mysuperpc.com/build/pc_sata_install_windows_operating_system.shtml

its a well documented problem. Most OEM'S include slipstream the sata drivers thatw hy if you buy a dell and try to do a standard xp retial install on it then it fails miserably finding the hdds

most of the sata controllers deal with this problem by having an IDE mode, making windows see the sata drive as if it were IDE. so if it's a simple home workstation, you don't need all the raid options, and you can use the IDE mode easily

well its true. Ive installed XP on 8 pcs with SATA and 3 of them required me to choose "push f6 to ibsert a driver floppy for your scsi/raid controller"

see:

http://forums.hexus.net/showthread.php?t=20748
http://cruftbox.com/blog/archives/000867.html
http://www.mysuperpc.com/build/pc_sata_install_windows_operating_system.shtml

its a well documented problem. Most OEM'S include slipstream the sata drivers thatw hy if you buy a dell and try to do a standard xp retial install on it then it fails miserably finding the hdds

So these three time that didn't work were with Dells? Did you try to slip stream the drivers with the OS?

If the controller is integrated in the chipset you should be able to slipsteam XP and the drivers, or use a ghost image. If it's not, back to the floppy.

I would install windows on the 30g becouse then i could use the 300g as a "memorystick" and transfer all files from my previous computer to the new... But I can't use raid, havn't even tried. I know that I have it but I don't use it... Does it just work with SATA?

works with anything but its a bit of a apain in the ass

everything works with sata, no need to go out raiding :)

:lol: k.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.