Question...say I want 1GB of DDR 400 There are 4 slots for memory What configuration would more efficiently use all available resources... 1GB, 1GB(2x512MB), or 1GB(2x(2x256MB)) I know for sure a single gb stick is expensive, so I'm going to assume that's out of the question...but 2x512 and 4x256 are closer which configuration more aggressively harnesses the DDR functionality?

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

if its DDR it needs to be installed in mathcing pairs so your choices are:

4x256 or 2x512 - i dont believe there would be any loss of speed if you choose either one

a little correction: buying just 1Gb is cheaper then buying a few smaller sims. the question being whether or not your MB supports dual channel memory. If it does the better option is to get 2x512, make sure you buy two of the same manufacturer, preferrably from the same production series. mismatching memory in dual channel causes loads of performance problems.
In any case I wouldn't recommend 4x256 - the more components you use, the more things can go wrong.

if its DDR it needs to be installed in mathcing pairs so your choices are:

That is not correct unless their motherboard supports dual channel and they are going to be running the RAM in dual channel.

A single 1GB module may be cheaper that two 512MB modules, but the tow 512MB modules will be faster that the single 1GB.

There seems to be a misconception regarding the RAM used in dual channel, it doesn't need to be from the same manufacturer. As long as the modules have the same spec/timings they will work just fine.

There seems to be a misconception regarding the RAM used in dual channel, it doesn't need to be from the same manufacturer. As long as the modules have the same spec/timings they will work just fine.

this "misconception" is a result of quite a few very heave tests we run where I work, before we send one of our PC's to the customer. The software installed on those PCs is an automatic 3d modelling system, which runs very heavy on the RAM, and every nanosecond is important. since we made installing only fully matching memory pairs a rule, the performance rate (rendering speeds etc) of the machines went up by at least 15%, and on some - much higher.

this "misconception" is a result of quite a few very heave tests we run where I work, before we send one of our PC's to the customer. The software installed on those PCs is an automatic 3d modelling system, which runs very heavy on the RAM, and every nanosecond is important. since we made installing only fully matching memory pairs a rule, the performance rate (rendering speeds etc) of the machines went up by at least 15%, and on some - much higher.

If you take two modules from two different manufacturers with the same specs there will always be some small variance, but for most computers being used at home this isn't going to produce any appreciable difference. Comparing your application to that of your average home user is like comparing the performance requirements of a Grand Prix racer and the family mini van. :lol:

If you take two modules from two different manufacturers with the same specs there will always be some small variance, but for most computers being used at home this isn't going to produce any appreciable difference. Comparing your application to that of your average home user is like comparing the performance requirements of a Grand Prix racer and the family mini van. :lol:

you might be right, but if some extra performance is easily achievable even at home, why not go for it? all you need to do is ask the shopkeeper to give you a matching pair, he probably has a stock from the same series anyhow

you might be right, but if some extra performance is easily achievable even at home, why not go for it? all you need to do is ask the shopkeeper to give you a matching pair, he probably has a stock from the same series anyhow

Just arguing the point, the truth of the matter is that I agree with you. You will find better deals offered for pairs of RAM.:cheesy:

Just arguing the point, the truth of the matter is that I agree with you. You will find better deals offered for pairs of RAM.:cheesy:

we seem to agree in all topics, but arguing is fun :)

we seem to agree in all topics, but arguing is fun :)

You betcha, especially if I can learn something new in the process.:)

that's exactly the reason why I'm on this forum :) and several others as well

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.