hey gusy i'm out shopping for a new mother board thing is i want it to be compatible with all the new cards such as the nvdia fx(5900 i think).

i also want it to be fast in terms of processing speed i heard of a 8 lane bus thing i have no idea what it is i was hoping some one can explain.

any suggestions on what i can get?

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

no offense fakespike but it doesn't sound like you know enough to be upgrading/building your system yet.
but..if you must... you should check out the nforce2 chipset, such as on the asus a7n8x deluxue (i think that's the model, that was from memory so i could be wrong).

:D i appreciate ur honesty evil. but the truth is that i have build several pc's including the one that i'm on now which is:

a intel D845WN 1.7ghz with 256 sdram a gf2 mx 400.

as you can see those states dotn cut it any more i'm get a gb of ddr ram new mother board and the new readon. but i need a good mother board i like asus. and will give that model a look up.

sorry that post came out amatuer like it was rushed.

sorry i underestimated your knowledge. just next time try to sound on your level to avoid further confusion.

The item that you neglected to share with us is what type of processor you would like to use with the PC.

I know those hardcore AMD people won't admit it (but they know) that right now the Pentium 4 line of chips are better then the AMD Athlon XP line (and, no, AMD Athlon64's don't count.. yet).

If you want a nice system, go for the new Canterwood Pentium 4 motherboards, and get a Pentium 4 Processor between 2.4ghz and 3.2ghz (make sure they are revision 'C', which means they use 800mhz front side buses - faster then old mark, 533mhz - and they have HyperThreading).

If you won't allow a Intel processor in your home, or you can't afford Intel's line, go with any AMD Athlon XP processor 2500+ or faster. As with the last poster, I reccomend an nForce 2 Ultra motherboard. One note, make sure you get a later revision nForce 2 motherboard, because the first and second revision boards were plagued with problems.

TEKMAVEN is right... i hate to say that but right not P4's are better, something to add, watch for dual ddr, they can be very expensive for less than 5% increase in performance, see benchmarks!

yeah P4's are better but you have to pay so much more to get them AMD is has a better bang for your buck. but thats my 2 cents.

I just recently purchased a Gigabyte GA-7NNXP for the purpose of building a third AMD system. While the Intel chips are faster and a bit more powerful you can buy a nForce 2 Ultra 400 motherboard, 512mb DDR400, and perhaps a decent game for the cost of one of the higher end Intel processor chips. I preffer AMD, based on cost and versatility. But thats just my opinion. I have built machines based on both cpu types... and if you can afford to go Intel (or need the extra power for work) than by all means go for it. But otherwise I would have to recommend a AMD mobo. Top picks of both types listed below...

Intel:
ASUS P4C800 Deluxe
Chaintech 9JCS Zenith

AMD:
Gigabyte GA-7NNXP
ASUS A7N8X-X or A7N8X Deluxe

...hope it helps and good luck to you.

Most of you probably know this url but I like to read here:
http://www.tomshardware.com/
This site has both Hardware and Games reviews, and lots of test results.
Of course for both AMD and Intel.
The last CPU I am using now is an AMD Athlon XP 1800+, with 256mg of
DDR ram, Nvidia MX-440 64mg, a CD-RW, and CD, 40gig WD HD. I have only built 5 Computers from parts, using 3 GigaByte, and 2 ASUS.
My area of experience is in Consumer Electronics Repair. But I like computers, and I like learning.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.