Please help. I'm running win 98 on a 350mhz PC. I recently replaced my old internal CD-R with a new internal CD-RW (Philips CDRW 4800) - installation was a straight swap.

The new drive reads and writes just fine, however I now have a problem each time I boot up my machine. The following message appears during the boot sequence:

"
Verifying DMI Pool Data...

CD-ROM Device Driver Version 5.17x for ATAPI
Copyright (c) Matsushita-Kotobuki Electronics Industries, Ltd.
1990-1996 All Rights Reserved.
Device Name = OEMCD001
Supporting the following units:

Interface board or CD-ROM drive is not ready.
Insure that drive power is on and drive cables correctly attached.
<A>bort or <R>etry
"

When I hit <A> the boot sequence continues and Windows starts. I don't know what the problem is - it seems as though my PC is still looking for the old CD-R drive (which was a Matsushita) when it starts up.

Any advice is much appreciated!

Contributors
Replies
Views
14 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by TallCool1

Perhaps you need to change your Bios? Try setting all the IDE devices to Auto Detect. But memorise the old settings first ;).

REM out all references to the CD ROM drive in config.sys and autoexec.bat, and try rebooting

REM those statements out because the computer is still looking for the old Matsushita drive that used to be there. WIN will find the new drive fine without those statements.

Try what whipaway suggested, and also check in the BIOS, sometimes there is a detect option in there that you need to run to re-detect what drive you have installed. Or like Roberdin said, make sure all your IDE devices are set to auto in the BIOS.

Please help. I'm running win 98 on a 350mhz PC. I recently replaced my old internal CD-R with a new internal CD-RW (Philips CDRW 4800) - installation was a straight swap.

The new drive reads and writes just fine, however I now have a problem each time I boot up my machine. The following message appears during the boot sequence:

"
Verifying DMI Pool Data...

CD-ROM Device Driver Version 5.17x for ATAPI
Copyright (c) Matsushita-Kotobuki Electronics Industries, Ltd.
1990-1996 All Rights Reserved.
Device Name = OEMCD001
Supporting the following units:

Interface board or CD-ROM drive is not ready.
Insure that drive power is on and drive cables correctly attached.
<A>bort or <R>etry
"

Remove the reference to MSCDEX and the CD-ROM driver in both Config.SYS and AutoExec.BAT -- you never needed them under Win98 anyway.

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.