Hi, I am trying to help a friend with an emachine D6419. Apparently after downloading the new MS Hotfix that corrupts the user32.dll files I cannot get his computer to POST. I removed the HD and put it into another machine and was able to run the MS patch to correct the user32.dll problem. I then reinstalled it into the D6419 but still nothing here are the symptoms.

1.) Will turn on but CPU fan is on power and it just hangs there and will go no further, fan just contiues to run. I swapped hard drives from another machine but that did not change anything.

2.) I just took out the CMOS battery and going to leave it out for an hour or two and see what happens.

3.) At this point I am thinking either a.) Motherboard is bad or Processor.

Can anyone help me with this? Thanks In Advance, Danny:?:

It's next to impossible for it to be the hotfix installed.
1) try another PSU.
2) put the CMOS batt. back in, any effect it being out might result in was done in a few seconds AND you COULD lose what info is in the BIOS as an unpleasant addition.
3) bad board is most likely, more to the point fried BIOS chip. even if the CPU is bad (unlikely) it might light up some.

It's next to impossible for it to be the hotfix installed.
1) try another PSU.
2) put the CMOS batt. back in, any effect it being out might result in was done in a few seconds AND you COULD lose what info is in the BIOS as an unpleasant addition.
3) bad board is most likely, more to the point fried BIOS chip. even if the CPU is bad (unlikely) it might light up some.

Thanks for the pointers, I did put the CMOS battery back in but same thing. It starts with fan running and says "no video" . Can I just replace the BIOS chip or do I need a new board? Thanks Again, Danny

Another question This is a MSI MS 7207 V1.0 Motherboard with an AMD 64 3200+ CPU, if I could replace it with an upgrade what could it be? Thanks

another BIOS is the cheapest (try) fix possible, if that fails, new board.
if you can find another compatable CPU for that board U might try that.
2nd query; I'm not certain of the meaning of your query. in any case new board = new XP activation, etc. upgrade of what?

Mechbas, Thanks for all the help. I meant by the inquiry, upgrading the Mb with a better one, it has a MSI MS 7207 in is, so could I go to a better motherboard to fit in the emachine box. I was stuying some MB's on tigerdirect.com just now, Thanks, danny

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.