So last Wed I noticed that my PC was acting really weird. A few quick examples, I couldnt remote into it and it was running really really slow. Well I went to reinstall XP and it wont boot from CD. It gives me the "Press any key to boot from CD" So its seeing that there is a bootable CD in the drive. But when I press any key it freezes right away. There are two CD drives on that IDE channel and it does the same thing in the other drive. I also tried three different XP cd's, including one that I just burned. So I resorted to using my set of XP boot disc's. It runs thru the disc's just fine, but when they get done I get an error saying that it cant find an XP cd in the drive. I cant figure out whats going on.

Anyone have any suggestions? I really hope my secondary IDE channel isnt toast.

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

So last Wed I noticed that my PC was acting really weird. A few quick examples, I couldnt remote into it and it was running really really slow.

Have you done all your scans and ruled out Malware as a possible cause?

Can you give any clues as to what caused these strange events to happen last Wednesday? Install any new software or add any new hardware :) or do anything out of the ordinary?

Checked all of your IDE data ribbon and molex power connections to the drive just to make sure all is snug, especially your secondary channel connection to the mobo!

Regards :cool:

Have you done all your scans and ruled out Malware as a possible cause?

I have run a full system scan for anti-virus and Malware.... found nothing.

Can you give any clues as to what caused these strange events to happen last Wednesday? Install any new software or add any new hardware :) or do anything out of the ordinary?

There is nothing that I can think of that would have caused any of this. In fact I went out of town for a few days and when I left it was working just fine.

Checked all of your IDE data ribbon and molex power connections to the drive just to make sure all is snug, especially your secondary channel connection to the mobo!

I pulled everything out of the box and reinstalled it making sure everything was good and tight. Oh and I forgot to mention before that I even took an extra DVD drive of mine and hooked it up, it returned the same result at the first 2 drives.

I dont know what else to try.

Yeh....see your point! Its shaping up as a real tough nut to crack.

mmmmm...maybe suggest entering the bios and setting the boot order to CD drive manually, placing the disc in the drive before booting if you havent already tried!

Surely its not possible that the discs are all bad burns....slow the write speed right down to 2x? (or are you using a gen disc)

Maybe im just clutching at straws!!!

Hope you get to the bottom of this and i will watch this thread with interest.

Good Luck dude :cool:

Yeh....see your point! Its shaping up as a real tough nut to crack.

mmmmm...maybe suggest entering the bios and setting the boot order to CD drive manually, placing the disc in the drive before booting if you havent already tried!

Surely its not possible that the discs are all bad burns....slow the write speed right down to 2x? (or are you using a gen disc)

Maybe im just clutching at straws!!!

Hope you get to the bottom of this and i will watch this thread with interest.

Good Luck dude :cool:

Yup I have tried everything... I used a CD that I know worked. I just used it a day or two before on another PC. So its starting to point to the MOBO.. Damn!!!! Anyone else have any ideas?

I would be inclined to try the HD in another pc and format it there as you were planninng to wipe it anyway.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.