Hello,
I'm afraid to hear the possible truth to this question, but...

The screen on my eMac contracts a bit in size for a fraction of a second to a second. Seems to only do it when using a browser, not just when my slide show is running or if I have a solid color background on the desktop.

It doesn't always do it, but seems to happen after it has warmed up a bit. Doesn't seem to matter if I put it to sleep or shut it down.

I've read a bit near to this subject but none have had exactly the same problem. They had jittery desktops for the most part.

I'm afraid that it might be the motherboard and or a chip. But it seems that replaciing it might not be cost effective as most repairers won't replace the affected chip, just swap out the logic/motherboard.

This started happening soon after switching up to 10.3.9
Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your attention to this matter,
Dan

eMac 1 GHz, 1GB RAM, OSX 3.9, Safari, Opera, Firefox, Camino, Mozilla; used in that order of preference.

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

Hello,
I'm afraid to hear the possible truth to this question, but...

The screen on my eMac contracts a bit in size for a fraction of a second to a second. Seems to only do it when using a browser, not just when my slide show is running or if I have a solid color background on the desktop.

It doesn't always do it, but seems to happen after it has warmed up a bit. Doesn't seem to matter if I put it to sleep or shut it down.

I've read a bit near to this subject but none have had exactly the same problem. They had jittery desktops for the most part.

I'm afraid that it might be the motherboard and or a chip. But it seems that replaciing it might not be cost effective as most repairers won't replace the affected chip, just swap out the logic/motherboard.

This started happening soon after switching up to 10.3.9
Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your attention to this matter,
Dan

eMac 1 GHz, 1GB RAM, OSX 3.9, Safari, Opera, Firefox, Camino, Mozilla; used in that order of preference.

The defect you are trying to show is not on the cpu it is in the monitor system, my Imac G3 showed the same symptomps until it shuts down every 5 to 8 minutes i think it has nothing to do with whatever applications that you associate it with

how about trying to put a cooling system to your CPU

Thanks for the reply junt.
I realized after more observation that it happens on the desktop and doesn't, as you say, matter about any application or browser. It's just intermittent. It does it after it starts up sometimes too and goes away for a while. I did find some info that it happened to iMacs with CRTs too. And some one said it's The 'flyback transformer'. But the repair cost is about the same as the computer is worth or more. And they said that one experiencing this issue should make regular backups for when the CRT dies. And someone else said that one can just connect a flat panel monitor and disconnect the CRT.

Pardon my ignorance, but how would I put a cooling system to an eMac that is an all in one machine? Doesn't seem to be much space in there.

Thanks again,
Dan

to tell you the truth it doesnt necessarily means its the flyback there is a lot of support circuits around the monitor systems it may be one of the components, surrounding the secondary low voltage in the monitor system, it may be one of the componets which is acting up, or having a secondary breakdown or in technical terms a thermal run-away when it heats up , thats why I suggested a cooling fan where-in you can put anywhere inside or outside the unit to force air inside to ventilate it, if its probable.

Hmm..
That's more possibilities than I thought. It may be worth it to take it in for a diagnosis then.
I have filters on the under side air intakes because of dust and smoke. May be time to change them or just remove them and put a small fan blowing under it. I thought, originally, that the intake vent was at the round back, and it may have some intake back there, but when I last changed the filters below, it made me realize that most of the incoming air seems to be from those vents below.

I'll probably take it in for an assessment.

Thanks a lot Junt.

I get the same thing on my thinkpad

I get the same thing on my thinkpad

So maybe it's not just a crt issue.
Let me know if you find any answer. I have to wait a bit to get my machine in to have it checked.

Thanks

i got it on a thinkpads lcd which i found really wierd as LCDs arent meant to do that. I think that the scren was loose or somthing.

commented: Let me see that it's not just CRTs or Macs. And it was timely. +4

That is weird.
But I know now that it's not just CRTs nor Macs.

Cooling fan didn't help. Seems that the damage is done. Looking for a replacement or just a portrait/landscape pivot LCD to use instead of the CRT.

Good luck with yours.

This problem has stopped with no known reason

I have had a lot of encounters with this type of problems in the past and it is an intermittent problem associated with a bad solder, and or a loose contact on connectors sometimes it just stopped, but by the time it comes back it is an oddball of a problem so better clean your soldering iron and use a lens viewer and start re soldering those bad solder in the monitor. Good day

commented: To the point and helpful. = ) +4

It came back just a smidgen, after my last post, then stopped again.
I'd bettet get a new soldering iron as my gun is not working well and too big for that work. If I can tackle fixing my monitor soldering, maybe i can apply to Apple or some retailer for a new job. Used to love working with wiring and solder.

Thanks junt!

Yep! or better yet get a freelance retailer to get you as Tech guy because theirs lots of bad or crystalized solder in those boards and can lead to an oddball of problems if not diagnose early, Good luck.

junt

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.