I have a dell d600 laptop that seems to be shorted out...it wont work with battery or plugged in. No lights appear on laptop. Seems like no power to laptop when plugged in. Wont charge battery either. When I attached plugged in power unit to laptop it seems to short out the power unit thats plugged in. It has to reset itself to have its light work.

any suggestions? power unit in laptop? also, not quite sure how to get totally into laptop...i was able to undo screws but couldnt remove top at screen end of laptop...

any help is appreciated.

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

My D505 is suddenly doing the same thing as well, it will however power up with a batter installed assuming it's charged. I have a second laptop that I can use to charge it.

Anyways when I plug mine into the wall the power adapter shorts out and I have to unplug it for a few seconds and then plug it back in to get a green light.

I opened mine up and figured something happened to the power jack or something since multiple power units do the same thing. My jack looked burned on the metal and was brown. I just soldered a new jack in but unfortunately it's doing the same thing. I'm thinking of tearing it apart to sell individual parts on ebay since I don't want to keep swapping batteries to keep it working.

Anyone have any suggestions?

For heavens sake...post your own thread.

"For heaven sakes...post your own thread" Wow, this forum is friendly. You must not have anything else better to do than to post pointless comments to other users, or is that how you got your 1509 posts. If this is what they consist of the stats are useless. How about some help or suggestions for Grichk or myself, or are you too busy going through the forums looking for something to respond with that is petty and stupid to make yourself sound big and mighty?

We are having identical problems with the power packs shorting out and not powering on the laptop, so wouldn't it be convenient for Grichk to see suggestions others give me/us in this thread instead of starting one that he isn't aware of which may contain a solution?

So lay off buddy, go find something else to do than going through threads finding something to complain about.

If you do a little reading you will find that almost all of my 1500 plus post have been spent trying to help other members. Out of those post I've developed lack of patience with people that can't seem to see the logical reasons for posting their "similar" problem in their own thread.

As soon as you wrote the word "however" it became apparent that your problem was not identical as you now claim.

You want a suggestion? Take a volt/ohm meter and try eliminating some of the potential problems. Power supply connectivity problems are inherent to laptops due to their design.

I could resort to personal attacks at this point just because you've gotten under my skin but I'm going to be the bigger person here and not participiate in your childish games. I just hope that you are not at all a representation of the type of people that use this forum.

The problems were similar enough to warrant the same thread regardless of what you think so stop being a petty little child. Both of our power packs short, the only difference is mine turns on with a battery pack that I can charge on a seperate latop so the issues are VERY SIMILAR if not possibly the same. Maybe he doesn't have a second battery like I do and can't get his laptop to turn on, did you think of that? So our problems could be EXACTLY THE SAME, that's what threads are for, so people like me and him can communicate and try to come to a conclusion as to what is going on. But no, people like you have to post stupid little posts like "heave sakes....." and be jerks about it implying a person is stupid or not logical because they don't think like you. Maybe it's you that needs to rethink your own logic. GEESH!!!

So now you've added pointless posts to this thread....good job, way to use up bandwidth and storage space in the database.

By the way, your post saying we should try and troubleshoot the power would have answered both the original posters question and mine or atleast would have given us a place to start. Instead, since you are SOOO impatiant with us idiots that don't follow your own logic, wrote heaven sakes.... post your own thread.

Welcome to DaniWeb. Have a nice day.

Appology accepted..

Man...you take the cake. Not only do you take what I said about people not seeing the logic in posting their own thread to imply that you are stupid, but now interpret welcome to DaniWeb and have a nice day to be an apology. Are you on drugs?

Member Avatar for EyesGuy

I've tried all the drugs around here and I have a similar problem.
Ohm meter to the power input jack shows the tell tale signs of a good capacitor at the poewr input connector with neither point going to case ground.
A full dissassembly did not show any visual heat damage or stress cracks. The power input adaptor still shuts down with HD, Keyboard, Display, battery, modem and researve batteries all disconnected.

Any of you RETARDS actually have an answer to thisa question
Or are you here like any other so called IT pro to say NOTHING

as you dumb fucks NO NOTHING

I've tried all thetechnics around here and I have a similar problem.

Ohm meter to the power input jack shows the tell tale signs of a good capacitor at the poewr input connector with neither point going to case ground.
A full dissassembly did not show any visual heat damage or stress cracks. The power input adaptor still shuts down with HD, Keyboard, Display, battery, modem and researve batteries all disconnectedEmphasized Text Here(visit www.ndanuelectronics.netai.net you tell your problems

Was it working before? Just Asking

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.