I have an ASUS A7N8X2.0 mainboard, with an Athlon XP 2500+ processor. I have 2Gb (2X1Gb sticks) of matched Kingston DDR memory. My problem is that my computer is only recognizing the memory as 1Gb. Each stick by itself will register as 1Gb in either of the 3 slots, but when I put both sticks in together, they still only register as 1Gb total. CPUid says that each stick is only 512Mb, but when I remove one stick CPUid reads it as 1Gb. I'm at a loss here. My system is a home built system, so tech support is out, lol. Any advice or help would be appreciated.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

I looked up the manual for your motherboard and found out that it only takes up to 2 gigs of ram memory, and since they are duel channel you have to put in 4 /512's if you want 2 gigs I also check your specs and 512 is the highest you memory slots will take hope this helps

Thank you for the suggestion, and I apologize for the delay in replying. I'm currently on vacation with my family.

My mainboard only has 3 memory slots, and according to the documentation that came with it each is supposed to support up to 1Gb of ram, for a total of 3Gb. Also, when I put in only 1 stick at a time, it reads as 1Gb. That's in any of the three slots. When I put both sticks in, it still only reads as 1Gb though.

wellif it only has three then you must be wrong about the model of mother board you have as the manual for the one you gave shows 4 slots you might want to check to make sure you are reading the number right or that someone didn't sell you one board and give you another...

Yes, 1GB per slot is truly supported by your motherboard. The total maximum memory capacity is 3GB in three banks. I think Kingston seemed to have a problem with the memory speed ( I think you're using pc3200/DDR400 mhz speed, isn't it?). It's a ram compatability with the bios. So, use one stick permanently and the other one as a spare.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.