ok, heres my situation...:sad:

a friend of mines computer, after a reboot, RANDOMLY refused to boot in to windows, the error message was something like..
cannot complete boot because the file lsasrv.dll is missing or corrupted.
so.. i couldnt get it to boot up, i tried safe mode, and still nothing.
THEN i attached the harddrive to my computer in order to access/back up any files tht i could only to find that the ENTIRE windows folder had been erased, the folder named WINDOWS was there but completely empty, and yet it was attempting to boot and wasnt saying "missing operating system" as would normally happen...

so anyway, i decided to re-install xp after confusion about how this could have happened... a virus? nope, did a scan, an error? ive yet to do scandisk but could one error really erase specific folders?.....
so as i was installing xp... it got to the point where it was copying the files over tht needed to be used to install.. and it couldnt copy that eeeeeevil file lsasrv.dll, ive tried using a legal copy of xp ofcourse and i even tried it with a copy my friend had. in the vain hope tht i could have more luck :s
but no, the same issue again and again...

can anyone tell me just wot the hell is happening? lol ive tried it on 2 different harddrives now having just bought her a new one, and also in 2 different computers, what the hell!!! lol

now u see that i am really stuck and really frustrated with it all...
please help! :cry:

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

ok, heres my situation...:sad:

a friend of mines computer, after a reboot, RANDOMLY refused to boot in to windows, the error message was something like..
cannot complete boot because the file lsasrv.dll is missing or corrupted.
so.. i couldnt get it to boot up, i tried safe mode, and still nothing.
THEN i attached the harddrive to my computer in order to access/back up any files tht i could only to find that the ENTIRE windows folder had been erased, the folder named WINDOWS was there but completely empty, and yet it was attempting to boot and wasnt saying "missing operating system" as would normally happen...

so anyway, i decided to re-install xp after confusion about how this could have happened... a virus? nope, did a scan, an error? ive yet to do scandisk but could one error really erase specific folders?.....
so as i was installing xp... it got to the point where it was copying the files over tht needed to be used to install.. and it couldnt copy that eeeeeevil file lsasrv.dll, ive tried using a legal copy of xp ofcourse and i even tried it with a copy my friend had. in the vain hope tht i could have more luck :s
but no, the same issue again and again...

can anyone tell me just wot the hell is happening? lol ive tried it on 2 different harddrives now having just bought her a new one, and also in 2 different computers, what the hell!!! lol

now u see that i am really stuck and really frustrated with it all...
please help! :cry:

If you have 98 boot disk or any xp startup disk (u can create it from any running xp machine with flopy format option) then boot it with help of that disk & format your problem drive then restart system & try to install xp.

yea, ive tried to do that already, but then the same thing happens, for some reason lsasrv.dll just will not copy! :( and i dont understand why its being so selective about the file either, its just weird, the disk is a legal one and its not scrached up either, i have even tried to use a different disk, wich unfortunately was an illegal copy, wich ofcourse i would never usually opt for given that we have a legal one that was bought with the system, and it doesnt work from that copy either, so it seems that no matter which copy of xp i use, it still wont copy this particular file

is the computer just cursed? or is it something else like a bad motherboard?

thanks,
Danniboy

This Is Some Lengrhy Process First Install Any old version of Windows And Copy Windows XP On One of Your HD Drive Then Run Setup And Upgrade Your Operating System.(lsasrv.dll is an important security DLL which decrypts all local password hashing schemes on the computer.)
Other Wise the Last Option You Have To Format Your HDD with Some Other Commands Not Fdisk (If You Have Already Done with Fdisk)
Have Restored Your Mother Board Bios Settings ?

Why not just wipe the drive and reinstall the OS.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.