Hi,

I need to "force" a CD Drive to "read " an empty CD. e.g. make the laser move across the the disc's surface while it is spinning as if it was reading data. Usually when a blank CD is inserted the Drive starts reading but then stop right away if the disc is empty. Would it be possible by modifying the drive and/or writing a Code to accomplish this task?
Any ideas would be great!!

Sam

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

over the years I've seen some crazy question/wants ,and this is a weird one .just for my curiosity! why ,what would this actually accomplish!
maybe you can do this,maybe not .check in the programing section ,

over the years I've seen some crazy question/wants ,and this is a weird one .just for my curiosity! why ,what would this actually accomplish!

I need to get the analog signal from the photodiode when it is reading through a blank disc. The pits (0s and 1s) on a regular disc just add noise to the signal. And when a blank CD is inserted the drive doesn't read but stops right at the beginning of the drive.

like i said ,crazy ,Greek to me ,sorry

It's an interesting question, but it may not be possible. The firmware on a CD drive controls that. I don't know if the standard set of commands available to a CD drive make that available to you...

If you were really feeling froggy, I guess you could hack the firmware of a CD drive to do this, but I wouldn't even know where to start.

a lot of posters here would just love to get there firmware to read a disk with data on it,let alone one with no data !!!lol

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.