As part of the original setup on my daughter's laptop, it asked if I wanted to set up a partition on the HD dedicated to recovery. I accepted and the 60 Gig HD set up a 12 Gig FAT32 partition. I guess that it immediately filled and it's apparently 100 percent fragmented. I want to defrag it, but it tells me that there is only 5% free space and Disk Defrag needs at least 15% free space to run. It wants me to delete enough files to free up 15%. Of course, the D partition is protected.

Two questions: Does the D partition being incredibly fragmented hurt the laptop's performance? If so, how do I delete the partition? I'll just backup to an external drive. Any thoughts?

Since the D: partition is a backup it will seldom get accessed, so no to it affecting performance. To delete the partition boot up into a command prompt (press F8 as windows is starting) and use the fdisk command...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.