I've tried to troubleshoot my way through this, but find myself too frustrated with my own machine to think straight. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The problem started with my monitor (seemingly at random) going into power saving mode. I wouldn't be able to bring it back out of power saving mode without doing a complete restart of my system.

I suspected either the video card (ATI Radeon x1300 w/256MB) or the monitor (LG LCD). I tried a different monitor and had the same problem. I tried switching the connection from DVI to VGA. Still, the same problem. Definitely the video card.

Except now I'm not so sure. I just fired it up again and opened the web browser, only to have the whole computer freeze up on me (I could move the mouse, but that was all. Clicking and keyboard commands were completely useless) and then my display went dead black, without even the warning about power saving mode. The computer appeared to still be running, though. The lights were on, and I could hear fan noise. So, I powered down, waited 5, then powered back on and attempted to login as Admin in Safe Mode. Windows didn't even finish booting this time before it froze. There was also a long, continuous beep coming from within the case. The screen went dead again, the beep continued, and the computer still seemed to be running. I powered down, waited another 5, then powered back on one last time. This time, though, the screen wouldn't come on at all. The computer, though, did again seem to be running (lights, fan noise, etc). If not for the freezing and the long beep, I'd still suspect the video card, but now I'm not so sure. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

Again, any help would be greatly appreciated.

- Devin

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

A long beep refers to the memory modules. Why don't you try to switch your module to other dimm slots? Maybe you have a bad dimm slot on the motherboard or it's a ram compatibility.

The long beep refers to the memory modules. Why don't you try to switch your module to other dimm slot? Or it's a ram compatibility.

Can't be a compatibility issue, as both those sticks have been in there, operating just fine, for the better part of the last two years.

I'll try pulling them one at a time, though, just to see what happens. I suppose one or both could have gone bad, but I don't see how that would effect my display.

Here's hoping, anyway. I'll post my findings once I'm done.

And thanks for the quick response, btw.

Tried and failed. There was no difference, regardless of which stick of RAM, if any, was left in. I have no display, whatsoever.

Also, the long beep only occurred the one time. I have not heard it at all, since then.

since your computer is 2 years old, disregard the ram compatibility issue. Bad memory module doesn't allow also the computer to boot. Try to check your modules in other computer.

In the meantime, reset your cmos settings.

Try to power up with only the motherboard connected to power supply. While keyboard, mouse and monitor connected.

IF MB, PS, and integrated video it will 'post test' on screen.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.