I am still stuck with my half dead HP laptop, that died for no apparent reason and it is under a year old and is one of the latest models...

From reading the posts on this forums last weak I see in recent posts about 4- 5 people that having issues with HP...

I am starting to think that HP is selling rubbish!:icon_evil: Does HP stand for Horrible Product?

I do not think I ever want to buy HP again! (apart from the fact that they dont even give you an OS cd with it just some silly backup utility!)

Sorry for my rant, I am just really fed up and wondering if there are ppl out there feeling the same!

Recommended Answers

All 21 Replies

HP...
Hundred problems
Highly perishable
Handicapped product
Hangover paid-up
Hardware pandemonium
Hardcore pain

I'm out.

Q: Is RMA possible?

they dont even give you an OS cd with it just some silly backup utility!)

Dell, toshiba and lenovo are the same.

Dell, toshiba and lenovo are the same.

I have a dell and I got about 4 discs with it with OS, + all the drivers and stuff!

Ive got an Xmas 2006 dell 5150 and i had to make my own recover disk i got no cds

Friend of mine bought HP laptop (in US). Not a bad machine. 1/2 gig VGA, 19 inch wide screen... He got, I think, 4 recovery DVDs. Apart from no OS disks, all OK... BUT, the morons that installed Windows could've easily made it a really good machine if they utilized the fact that the laptop has 2 identical HDs and hooked them up in RAID0, but NOOOOoooo they partitioned them separately and took 20 Gigs on one of them for some sort of recovery partition, which are off bounds to him by default.. Stupid.

actually you usually hit some combination of F11 at boot to restore from the recovery partition. Thats what my dell has but its no good if your disk , mbr or partitions get screwed up

There should be some options regarding the setup BEFORE you buy a laptop. It is like buying a car, but not being able to open the trunk, unless you crush the car.

Speaking of laptops, about 3 years ago I stumbled on some shop that had 2 laptops displayed in the window:
- one was 2 GHz Intel P4 with the price of roughly 600 UK Pounds (normal price range)
- the other was 850 MHz PIII (I started laughing at the specs) OUTDATED, and the price was 1800 UK Pounds (the laughter seized at that point).

That's extreme, but truth.

I want to know what kind of a fool would buy THAT!

There should be some options regarding the setup BEFORE you buy a laptop. It is like buying a car, but not being able to open the trunk, unless you crush the car.

Speaking of laptops, about 3 years ago I stumbled on some shop that had 2 laptops displayed in the window:
- one was 2 GHz Intel P4 with the price of roughly 600 UK Pounds (normal price range)
- the other was 850 MHz PIII (I started laughing at the specs) OUTDATED, and the price was 1800 UK Pounds (the laughter seized at that point).

That's extreme, but truth.

I want to know what kind of a fool would buy THAT!

I bet that overpriced thing was Sony? I wonder if at least sonies come with a decent OS CD???

I agree that 'restore ' partition on HP is a waste of space! I was surprised to find it on my harddrive! It means that there is less space available than advertized!

I have sent my Lappie to HP under their "enhanced year of warranty" since they have finally confessed to having sold a faulty batch, only to hear that the extended warranty is void, since the unit has been opened.

$#%^ed up by HP now twice. I am sooo angry now, it is not funny. I bought the lappy as I travel a lot and need to do all my work on it. Now warranty is out and it just dies. I cant work, cant communicate, nothing from HP and now when they FINALLY acknowledge having sold screwed up product they void the warranty.

:mad:

That is the goal of modern technology. Make something last 5 days longer than warranty. I know that only too well. Just think of TVs 20 years ago and now. Those 20 years ago they were built to last.. now they are built to last as warranty.
Sorry to hear that arrogance of big corp. have hit you directly.

Yeah, unfortunatly It barely lasted a year.... But you are right, it is totally in manufacurer's interest to make things that dont last, then you are forced to buy a replacement.... sad...

I guess my HP joke is more than true....

Yeah I just dunno who to trust... I suppose you cant hope to buy a lappy that would last anymore....

That's why I stick to built-by-me desktops. I know what is inside of it and I know the quality of each component.

My machine: 95% of the $$$ went to the VGA, mobo, CPU, PSU, RAM, HD and cooling. Rest went to keyboard, casing, mouse (non-essential stuff) + monitor. Monitor is 2nd hand, came very cheap, but extremely high-quality craftsmanship. (got lucky with that)

Added couple of cards later, but it is still working Since February 2006. Only hint of failing comes from cheap-ass chipset fan. That's the only fan that I haven't replaced with better solution only due to a fact that the only alternative available to me is passive cooling, which won't fit because of bigger-then-planned VGA. ASUS acknowledges the problem and are to send me a replacement fan. I guess they are a better choice than HP, and they build laptops (hint).

Ha ha my next lappy is DEFINITLY not HP!

The desktop is built by me, then I can choose the best parts, but as for lappies it is a different sory altogether....

I am so fed up that I am thinking of starting an anti-HP website...LOL

Add anti-microsoft site while you're at it, hehe.

No anti Microsoft I will leave to you! LOL But as for Anti-HP I am quite serious.... They are still messing me around.... I am totally mad with them. Sold me a piece of sh%$ and now refuse to fix it.

same with my dell lol

My best PC ever was a Fujitsu Siemens - very high quality and uses standardised parts

I wonder how other companies dealt with the problem- having sold a foulty batch?- the entire series?

That is called damage control. "Damage" as the $$$ they would lose.
They compare the costs of total recall of the product versus the lawsuits that they would lose. If lawsuits tip the scale, they give in, admit it is junk, and replace with other junk. Otherwise, if you are not gonna get killed or lose a limb, you're on your own.
Only recall that I recall (he he) is with inflammable HP batteries.

Other companies deal with it by making better stuff.

Yeah, this is sooo frustrating. I get cramps each time I hear HP! I wonder what is the size of that faulty batch they have sold, sounds fairly big!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.