My friend sent me his Hp pavilion ZT1000 for me to fix. Normally, i am very good at computers, but this laptop has gotten me stumped. Sometimes it boots up 100% perfectly, runs a few hours, and then the screen is still, but the mouse/keyboard doesn't work, nor does anything change. (IE the screen stays still, while running an antivirus, antivirus status doesn't change when the keyboard/mouse stops working.) So the whole laptop crashes, the screen still displays the last image. While that is easily fixed (problem with driver, etc) it does it everywhere else. (windows boot up, hp recovery, running knoppix, even in the bios.) This seriously stumps me. So to sum it all up,
1. laptop randomly crashes whenever it feels like it (1 sec- 3 hrs)
2. While it's crashed, the lcd still displays the last image, but no form of imput works.
3. Sometimes, it boots up to a blank screen, but everything works (can hear fan, hd, and even cd rom spin up, but blank screen)
4. When plugged into annother monitor, it behaves the same way as the lcd screen.

so, does anyone know what i can do to fix this problem? :cool:

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

My friend sent me his Hp pavilion ZT1000 for me to fix...
1. laptop randomly crashes whenever it feels like it (1 sec- 3 hrs)
2. While it's crashed, the lcd still displays the last image, but no form of imput works.
3. Sometimes, it boots up to a blank screen, but everything works (can hear fan, hd, and even cd rom spin up, but blank screen)
4. When plugged into annother monitor, it behaves the same way as the lcd screen.

Have you tried a memory tester like MemTest86? It's on the newer Knoppix discs, or it can be downloaded either as a floppy-disk image or as an ISO bootable CD-ROM image.

Yes, i have, i have done all the hardware tests, but no success... :(
I figure this is a vid card problem. or somefink...

BUMP
srry if this is against your rules, i didn't see one..

Im running into problems on these with the Video controller card. Found a few that I had to do some resoldering on. Did you get this problem resolved as of yet?

right so i work in a computer shop, and have run into the same issue. from what i can tell, it appears that one of the dimm slots on the memory has a tendancy to go bad. this is the second one ive had do this. there are 2 slots, one under the keyboard, and one on the bottom of the mobo. the one on the bottom of the compy was the culprit in both cases. try removing that dimm and see if it boots.

the really bad part is, that as far as i can tell this thing takes a max of 512mb of ram, and a max dimm of 256 so......

EDIT: and yes, like 1 of 10 times it boots with something in that dimm.....

Xactly the problem that I had with a ZT1000, thanks for the solution. Wish I knew this before I took the whole thing apart :mad:

I have the same problem with my zt1000, but now I have an even worse problem. It was working fine with that problem but I replaced the hard drive and installed windows. After I got windows installed I realized I needed something off the old hard drive so I took out the power supply and then the new hard drive and put in the old one. After putting in the power supply and trying to turn it back on all that happens is the lights on the laptop come on when you hit button or stay on if you hold it, and if you plug it in all the lights come on and stay on. Thats all... no trying to boot or anything just the lights. Does anyone have a clue?

Thanks
Jason

Oh ya, the first time I changed the hard drive out I didn't take out the battery.

right so i work in a computer shop, and have run into the same issue. from what i can tell, it appears that one of the dimm slots on the memory has a tendancy to go bad. this is the second one ive had do this. there are 2 slots, one under the keyboard, and one on the bottom of the mobo. the one on the bottom of the compy was the culprit in both cases. try removing that dimm and see if it boots.

the really bad part is, that as far as i can tell this thing takes a max of 512mb of ram, and a max dimm of 256 so......

Thanks for the info- after throwing the zt1000 under the sofa for a year I took it out after reading your post here and pulled the bottom added 256MB mem. and sure enough it has run fine ever since on the original 256MB that is under the keyboard. Tried some new memory in the bottom slot - same flakiness in booting. The dumb bottom slot/connector is screwed.
I looked for solutions a while back on the net and came across some similar descriptions of this problem with the zt1000's that were attributed to heat sensors on the MOboard processor. If you have added additional mem to the bottom mem slot try pulling it first. Looks like I will just pull the keyboard and put a 512MB in the factory slot --512MB better than nothing. Thing ran fine for 3 years with the additional mem in bottom slot then just quit booting and/or shutting off randomly. Maybe hairline etch fractures or oxidized connector socket pins.

Yes, i have, i have done all the hardware tests, but no success... :(
I figure this is a vid card problem. or somefink...

I am working on the same laptop zt1000 series, crashes off and on...

the problem is bad memory... it doesnt always show up on memtest86.. it would find the bad spot about 1 of ever 4 or 5 times i start memtest...

I believe the memory that come with the mb on the laptop is
on the mb itself and cant be replaced... sorry;(

Hi guys , wonder if any of you geniuses can help me out here, i have just replaced the power connector on the mobo and as far as i am aware all commectors are back in place etc but the laptop shows off and when i try and power it up, it powers up for about 5 seconds, with no display and then switches itself off, please anybody have any ideas

This has proven to be a true fact indeed.
I have just brought back to life a zt1000 buy placing ram in the slot under the keyboard.
No more continious beep and so more random shut down :-) FANTASTIC.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.