ok, I have tried everything I can think of to get sound back on my computer and nothing is working. I tried all the conventional methods but nothing worked, I tried adding a sound card and still nothing.

I have onboard sound on my computer. Its soundmax digital audio. I transfered cases and it was working fine. I moved and my computer was down for 3 days. When I set it back up I have no sound. So today I tried adding a pci sound card which was a soundblaster live card. It froze up my computer. I restarted and it froze again. So I took out the card and now my computer is fine but still no sound. Im going to go nuts.

I have windows xp home, a 2.80 ghz intel p4 processor, 2 hard drives, one is 80 gb and the other is 160, 760 mb of ram, 400 watt power supply so I have enough power to the system. I am over powered infact. But still no sound. Can someone help me? Thanks.
Karla

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Have you got all of the speakers set up correctly? They come with a cable with a green end which plugs into the Out port on the motherboard, check you have it in the green hole and not the blue one.

Yes, I have my speakers hooked up correctly. I have tried both the rear ports and the front ports with no luck. I am trying not to be defensive about that question but I cant help saying im not stupid, I know how to hook up computers.

Sorry, but we do get some people who have zero tech knowledge. Do you have drivers for the speakers? If so install them, or reinstall them, or find the latest versions online at there site. Also check under Control Panel -> Sounds and Audio Devices , that everything isn't muted, and that you are in the correct advanced setting, to the correct type of speakers.
Has your keyboard got a mute button, just to make sure that it is registering that it is muted or not.

no I have plenty of knowledge but I have exhausted it with this. lol The speakers are just plug and play, nothing is muted and I even uninstalled the sound driver and reinstalled it with no luck. My next step is to redo my hard drive so it reinstalls everything.

I had the same problem with my XP. I worked on the problem for quite some time before installing a Audio CODEC
that Windows doesn't even support. But it worked for me.
Sigma Tel High Definition Audio CODEC. You'll get a pop-up saying windows does not support this program.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.