Recently noticed strange blinking of power LED on my desktop system, following a virus attack. I managed to clean everything up (or so I think) and upgraded my protection apps to prevent reinfection, but this blinking LED seems really curious.

It first began immediately after I had changed my power settings to allow standby since I tend to leave the system on at all times. When I first saw this it appeared only while system was in standby mode, and would go solid when I jiggled the trackball to 'juice' the system into operation.

I have since reset power settings to Always On, and now the LED blinks at all times - about 1.2 sec cycle, half on, half off. Other than this strange blinking, the system seems fully operational.

Anybody have any experience with this? Any idea where I'd find info about what this means?

Thanks in advance!

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

tb01,
Mine blinked too. I removed the fan form the processorkooler. Not the whole thing,
just the fan! With a vacuumcleaner and a small brush I removed a lot of dust.
After that, no more blinking.

Hi fortast,

Thank you so very much for your response. I'd pretty much given up on expecting a reply, after all this time.

I usually dismantle and clean my systems annually, checking all connections and replacing the heatsink/CPU thermal compound, etc. I've even been known to soak -some- circuit boards to remove stubborn dust deposits which don't brush away (drying them thoroughly before placing back in service, of course!).

Broke my leg two years ago while away from home for (what became) 10 mos, and overlooked my 'housekeeping' far too long. I did notice recently the LED stopped blinking, about the time I blew out the CPU heat sink & fan with a fresh can of compressed air. I didn't connect the two events until seeing your post, and it sure makes sense.

Thanks again for the very helpful info! I'm putting the dismantle & cleaning op on my task list, right now. Besides, I'm planning to reuse this case (Antec 900) for a new build and will go ahead and transfer this mobo to another case.

Happy computing!
--Tom :)

I usually dismantle and clean my systems annually...

Completed thorough cleaning w/reapplication of Arctic Silver-5 to CPU/heatsink two days ago!
--Tom

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.