Hi, recently my gateway 420gr,p4, 2.93 ghz, 150 gb sata has been acting wierd.

It started when norotn antivirus kept giving telling me i have Hacktool.Rootkit virus and that slowed down my computer and also frequently crashed it. When it crashed i would get this message

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:

\\WINDOWS\\SYSTEM32\\CONFIG\\SYSTEM

So i tried to repair windows by using my windows restore dvd. Then norton ghost would run but i would get "output A://Ghosster.txt" error (somethign like that) which would always come everytime i would try to repair using the cd and my repair would be incomplete.

Now I can't access my computer at all because after the Gateway splash screen all i get is the

"Reboot or select proper boot device
or insert boot media".

I insert the cd and i still get the message. I can't access anything on my computer, can't go into setup or anything. Please if someone has a solution or knows what the problem is, it is greatly appreciated.

Thanks, RamLover

Enter the bios setup and change the boot order to CD ROM Drive first then hard drive.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.