Earlier this week i purchased a core 2 duo e6850 and another gig of DDR2 800 ram. After putting them in my comp i started playing Vanguard: saga of heroes and after about 2 days i decided to play with the graphic settings since it was running perfect on highest quality. Right when i clicked to enable something to improve my graphics i heard a crack noise (like a spark, if it was a spark, i saw nothing, just heard a noise) and my computer shut off, now i don't know if pressing this graphic enhancing option was just a coincidence to the timing of the spark, but i think not. Anyway, i replaced the processor with my previous processor and it still didn't start up. I don't think it has to do with my graphic cards either because even if they did get damaged, that wouldn't keep my computer from not even starting. I have also come to a conclusion that it isn't my RAM because if i power off my system totally and plug it back in and press the power button, it turns on for a split second, then if itry turning it on afterwards, it doesn't make any signs of life, so i think my RAM is telling the computer not to turn on because there is something wrong. I beleive i have narrowed it down to being my Motherboard(Gosh i hope not), which is relatively new, or my harddrive.

SPECS:

OS--Windows XP

MOBO--EVGA 122-CK-NF63-TR LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard

RAM--Patriot Extreme Performance 2GB (4 512mb) 240-Pin DDR2

Processor--Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 Conroe 3.0GHz LGA 775

HD--Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3320620AS (Perpendicular Recording Technology) 320GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s

Video Cards-- Dual SLI nvidia EVGA 7900 GS 256mb DDR3 SLI enabled

Please, any responce will help, i would rather not spend the $$ on taking it to a shop, thanks in advanced!

~Phil

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

I think its the power supply

Hoe many watts is it? your system, needs at least a 550w. If you pushed your cards over the edge you could have caused your PSU to die.

Sorry, i should have mentioned my PSU in my initial post.

PSU--FSP Group (Fortron Source) FSP550-80GLC-R ATX 2.01/ EPS12V 550W Power Supply - Retail

It is exactly 550w, so do you think that it still could be the PSU, my mobo still gets power and my computer turns on for a split second. But then again i was doing some pretty heavy overclocking so I wouldn't doubt that it could be the PSU.

don't think it has to do with my graphic cards either because even if they did get damaged, that wouldn't keep my computer from not even starting.

it sure could ,

I have also come to a conclusion that it isn't my RAM because if i power off my system totally and plug it back in and press the power button, it turns on for a split second, then if itry turning it on afterwards, it doesn't make any signs of life, so i think my RAM is telling the computer not to turn on because there is something wrong.

really ,you sure have a different opinion of ram than i do,ram memory has no info in it until computer is up and running ,its wiped clean every time you shut down computer ,so how could it be telling anyone anything .

Also ,its my gut feeling that the pop was you motherboard shorting out . ,just a gut feeling

remove the cards and try with the onboard vga and if it still doesnt work, then its probably the PSU.

Never assume that it could be one component or another. It could be anything. If it was mine I would strip the unit down to the essentials and work up. Pull everything out that isnt needed for the system to start. If it still doesn't give video, well, my gut feeling is motherboard as well. Do you have another power supply? If your power supply is good 550W should be plenty to power motherboard/CPU/memory. Swap memory modules out when you are running the bare essentials just in case one is bad. That "pop" sound more than likly is the motherboard, video card, or power supply.

Well, my other PSU is a 400watt so i have nothing to test my computer with, and my mobo doesn't have an onboard vga. I ended up taking it to the local shop to let them take a look at it, thanks all.

Ok i sent the computer to the local repair shop and they said it was my PSU, so i bought a new Corsair 620watt PSU and when i plugged it in sparks started flying from unter a heatsink on my MOBO...

Ok i sent the computer to the local repair shop and they said it was my PSU, so i bought a new Corsair 620watt PSU and when i plugged it in sparks started flying from unter a heatsink on my MOBO...

so did they install it for you or did you install it your self.!!!

I installed it myself, but i have installed a power supply before, i think it must have been my mobo all along, anyways i RMA'd it.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.